Chapter 36: Victory

Chenn and Nari were working in the kitchen. It had been a week since Nari had been released from bed rest, and two since Chenn was first allowed to leave his cell.

Someone burst through the door, shouting joyously and dancing. “We’ve won! The war’s over! It’s over! We won!”

Several people in the room, including Nari, burst into tears, smiles lighting their faces. There had been reports of many casualties during the three or four weeks of real fighting. And Chenn knew that because of what he’d taught Andrew, they had won the war so much faster. If it hadn’t been for that, the war might have dragged out for months, maybe even years.

Nari turned to him, still weeping. She threw her arms around his neck, kissing him hard. He put his arms around her waist like he had so many times before. When she stopped kissing him, she whispered, “We did it! We won. It’s all over, and we won. No more battling and death. No more war. It’s over, and Amory is defeated! Earth is safe!”

Chenn grinned. Her excitement was contagious. He began laughing. “Yeah, we really did it. The war’s over, and we won!”

He picked her up, and spun her around in the open area of the kitchen. She laughed breathlessly as he did so.

“Chenn, put me down!”

“We won!” He finally stopped spinning her about, and set her down.

She laughed, hugging him tight. “Yeah, we did!”

Andrew walked into the kitchen then. “I guess you’ve all heard that we won. Otherwise you wouldn’t be yelling ‘we won’.  I’ve come to ask Chenn something.”

Chenn stepped forward. “Yes, sir?”

“You told me two weeks ago that you would pledge to the MBC, to me, anything just to leave your cell. So now I’m here to ask for that. In the front of all these people, will you pledge your allegiance to the MBC?”

“Yes sir, I will.”

“Repeat after me. I, Chenn Covalenti…”

“I, Chenn Covalenti…”

“Do hereby swear…”

“Do hereby swear.” Chenn felt like he was in some medieval world as he spoke the words.

“To serve the MBC faithfully and to obey my superior officers…”

Chenn repeated the words, struggling not to laugh over how ridiculous he sounded. But the solemnity of the situation sobered him, and the laughter dissipated. 

“To the best of my ability…”

“To the best of my ability.” Chenn finished.

Andrew smiled, clapping him on the back. “Glad to have you back on board, Chenn. I have to go now. I’ve got to offer all of Amory’s men the same choice I offered you.”

Chenn nodded. “It’s generous of you to do so, sir. I thank you for your willingness to allow me the chance to reform my ways.”

“You’re welcome.” Andrew turned and walked of the room.

As soon as he was gone, cheering broke out among the kitchen workers again. Everybody was yelling and shouting in ecstasy.

Chenn took Nari’s hand and led her through the kitchen where people had abandoned the shining pots and cooking meals to dance around and shout ecstatically.

Nari smiled and laughed too, her body going relaxed with the release of the tension she'd been dealing with. It was finally over, and everything looked brighter - better - now. She followed as Chenn led her out into the hall.

He continued to walk on until he reached her room. Then he went down on one knee, still holding her hand. She frowned down at him, confusion in her eyes. “Chenn?”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box. Her eyes widened as she realized what he meant to do. Her heart pounded, and her mouth was dry. Her hands sweated in his grip.

He popped the box open, revealing a glittering, clear diamond chip with two ice blue sapphires set on either side in a band of white gold. Two tiny ruby chips flamed on the last pieces of Grecian scroll work on the ring's surface. The gold gleamed in the soft light of the hall, and the tiny rubies on the very ends winked up at her. She gasped as she saw it, all speech fleeing her.

“Nari, will you marry me?” Chenn whispered. 

She stared at him, breathing hard, unsure what to do. But she heard her voice responding in a haze.

“Yes.” She laughed as she realized what she’d said. “Yes, Chenn. I’ll marry you!”

He laughed too, and he stood up, swinging her into his arms. “Thank you!” He whispered in her ear as he spun her around.

She laughed, tightening her arms around his neck as he spun her about for the second time that day.

Her lips pressed against his as he stopped spinning, and he kissed her back. His heart throbbed with relief and joy.

She’d said yes. She’d said yes! She’d consented to be his wife, and it made him happier than he’d thought it could.