Chapter 27: News

Nari opened her eyes to bright sunlight streaming into the window above her bed. She yawned, and then she stretched. She frowned. Something was different.

She looked down at her wrists. They were still thin, but the tubes were gone. She’d woken only once or twice in the two or three days since she woke the first time in the hospital bed.

She smiled. She was getting better. Soon she’d be strong, and she might be able to get away from this place. Maybe Chenn would go with her too. She didn’t think he would, but it was always a possibility. Her heart grew heavy at the thought that he might not go. After all, he did believe that she was wrong to ally with Andrew.

Mary came bustling over to check on her. “You’re awake!” She beamed at Nari.

Nari smiled back. “Yeah, and I feel great. Still a bit beat up, but better than I have in weeks!” Her eyes danced. “Maybe soon I’ll be walking again.”

Mary sighed. “Miss Eaton, I think I should inform you that after you are slightly stronger the General has ordered me to move you into confinement in a storage room. You won’t be leaving us, and I know that’s what you were hoping. Chenn told me that you wanted to run away from the war and from all of this.”

Nari nodded, smile breaking. “Yeah, I did. I wanted him to come with me. We could just go, and we’d be free.”

“Miss Eaton, freedom is a dangerous thing for you right now. With it you might be tempted to do dangerous things that would imperil the cause we on East Base fight for. If you do that, you’ll be jeopardizing Earth and the Balance. Can’t have that.”

Nari didn’t respond. She just stared silently at Mary. She must not know that Amory was lying about the origins of the beasts attacking Earth.

“I’m sorry, Miss Eaton.” Mary whispered.

She placed her hand over Nari’s own. Nari pulled away.

“A sorry isn’t going to make up for caging me, Doctor Batson. But I do want to thank you for all you’ve done for me, anyway.”

Mary took her hand back. “I understand. Well, Chenn is here to see you since you’re awake now. He’s been waiting outside because I wouldn’t let him sit here. “

Nari nodded. “Thank you. I’d like to see him now, then.”

“I’ll tell him.” Mary strode off, heading for the only door in the infirmary that led to the corridors.

A few moments later Chenn walked over to her bedside. He gave her a gentle hug and a kiss before sitting down beside her.

“How do you feel?”

“Better. But they’re going to lock me up again, Chenn.” Her voice quavered.

“Yeah. In a storage room, but it won’t be totally dark. There’ll be a small window grate like there always is in the storage rooms. And you’ll get enough to eat. I’ll make sure of that.”

She smiled faintly. But it wasn’t sincere. It was full of hatred and loathing for the place where she’d become a prisoner. “Thanks, Chenn.”

He picked up her thin hand, and squeezed in his own warm, large one. “I’m so sorry about this, Nari. But I had to do it, right?”

She shook her head mute, tears coming to her eyes. “No, you didn’t. You could’ve let me go. You could’ve come with me, helped me. Chenn, Amory’s evil. He’s the one sending all the things onto Earth. He’s going to destroy it. And he’s going to kill us both when he’s won, because you’re a threat as much as I am.”