Chapter 3: Opening Up

A week passed uneventfully after her breakdown, and she was beginning to think that the worst had blown past. She was starting to feel freer and happier here, and the ability to forget the past and move on was beginning to seem like a reachable skill.

Until Andrew called her to his office, that was. She walked into the grey cubicle, head down, shoulders hunched with uncertainty. She didn’t know him well enough yet to know why he was calling her to his office or what it meant, but she did know that typically, being called into an authority’s office without a prior appointment constituted a bad thing. It almost felt like she was in high school again, being sent to the dean’s office for misbehavior.

She cleared her throat as she entered, and Andrew looked up. As soon as he saw her, he smiled warmly and ushered her in. “Have a seat… I just wanted to talk to you. Don’t worry; you aren’t in trouble.”

She relaxed a bit, sighing in relief when he spoke without any hint of anger or annoyance in his voice or posture. Walking to the chair he’d indicated, she sat down, giving him a weak smile. Her legs felt like jelly after all the tension that had built up in her body as she stressed out over this meeting.

Andrew cleared his throat, looking at her. “Nari, I’m worried about you… Other people are saying that you’re actively avoiding them and friendships… I’m worried that you aren’t developing the connections you need to be successful here.”

She gave a nervous laugh. “Avoiding people and friendships? Me?”

He continued to stare at her, and she ducked her head, cheeks turning crimson with embarrassment. “No one’s even bothered to approach me. I don’t think they want to be friends, and anyway, professional is the best I can offer.” She muttered.

He raised an eyebrow when she glanced up at him. “I think that you’re short-changing yourself. You have a lot more to offer to someone other than just a professional relationship, and you would be a great friend to have. No one approaches you because you’ve made it clear you don’t want them around.”

“Because they obviously don’t want me around!” She insisted, staring intently at the computer terminal’s blinking green buttons.

Andrew snorted. “Believe me, they want you around. They’re all very curious, and I know for a fact that you’re a kind, generous person, however much you may wish to convey another sort of person. You’re loyal and hard-working from what I can see, and add to that mixture your attractive appearance… Let’s just say most are interested in meeting you.”

“If you think that, then you don’t know me. I’m sarcastic, rude, and as my mother was fond of saying, as charming as mud.” Nari dead-panned.

“Then your mother needed her vision checked.” Andrew grinned.

A laugh bubbled up from inside of her. She let it out, giggling at first, and then laughing hard. Tears streamed down her face. “Her vision was fine!" She gasped.

He smiled at her. “Maybe so, but you don’t know the effect you have on people. Half the men and boys on this base don’t focus when you’re around, and you’ve only been here for a month.” He clasped his hands, resting them on his knees.

She gave him a searching glance. His smile was still there, but his eyes were dead serious.

“Really?”

“Really.” He answered, no longer smiling. He patted her knee. "You're quite distracting, even if you don't know it yet."

Nari frowned. That wasn’t good at all. People needed to do their jobs well, and if she were a distraction, they wouldn’t do that.