Chapter 34: Winning

“Thanks to you, Nari, we’re winning.” Andrew remarked.

Nari was sitting in her bed. All the excitement of the last week or so had caused her to pass out when she finally reached West Base. Due to this, the doctor had placed her under bed rest.

“That's great! How long do you think it will take before we can defeat them completely?”

“I have no idea, but based on the way we’ve been routing forces, I’m guessing that we’ll win within a month. But you needn’t worry about it. Focus on resting up and getting better.”

“How is Chenn?”

Andrew started to say something, and then he stopped. “He’s well enough.”

Nari eyed him, crossing her arms. “Andrew, what aren’t you telling me? Where is Chenn?”

Andrew sighed. “The doctor said I’m not allowed to upset you.”

“Not telling me upsets me too. Where is Chenn?” Nari's heart pounded, and her hands were suddenly slick with sweat. She glanced away from Andrew, focusing instead on her white sheets, the steel bed frame, the grey walls. Anything but him.

“In jail.” Andrew decided a blunt reply was best.

Being level with Nari accomplished more than lies.

“Why?” Nari’s voice was hard and cold and she looked back at him, eyes glinting. “He went through a lot to help me!”

“Nari, he was with the enemy. I don’t know him that well, and I can’t take any risks. He’s well cared for, fed, and clothed, and he’s getting plenty of stuff to occupy him. He’s got everything he needs or could want.”

“Except his freedom.” Nari’s voice was sharp and her hands clenched, bunching the sheets.

“Except that. But when the war is over, he’ll be given that. I promise.” Andrew tried to appease her.

“Don’t use that conciliatory tone with me, Andrew.” She snapped.

“You shouldn’t be rude to me.” Andrew shot back.

“You locked up a good man. You don't deserve my respect.”

“Nari…” He dropped into the chair beside her bed, taking her hand.

She pulled her hand away, not wanting him to touch her if he was going to lock up the one person she trusted most. "He has important information."

He sighed. "I..."

"Don't! Just... go... away." She gritted her teeth, clenching her hands on the sheets.

“He’s the enemy, Nari. Why would I listen when he’s likely to lie to me?” Andrew protested, raising his hands to ward off her furious glare.

“Because he isn’t going to lie. He risked death to help me, and he’s not going to throw away everything he’s worked hard to accomplish just to tell you lies about how to work the Wand and Scepter. Amory’s gathering his forces. You need to end this war now; Chenn can help you do it!” Nari's voice rose, and she struggled to keep her voice level and polite.

“I’ll talk to him, Nari, alright? You get your rest, and don’t worry about it all.” Andrew stood up, turning to go.

“I’ll worry if I want. Release him, and I won't have to worry.” Nari snapped, her cool demeanor cracking.

“Chenn isn’t in any danger, and he won’t be harmed, Nari. I’m not my brother. I won’t do to Chenn what my brother did to you.” Andrew promised.