Chapter 33: Destination

West Gate rose before them, glittering and blue. Ivwen halted before it.

Chenn slid off her back, and Nari slid off after him. During the last two days of travel, she’d become much better at riding Ivwen, and she stayed on easily now.

“This is where we must part, children of Earth.”

Nari smiled at Ivwen, sadness tingeing both the smile and her eyes. “Thanks, Ivwen. We appreciate all of your help.”

“You are welcome, daughter of Earth.” Ivwen nuzzled Nari’s cheek. “Do not be sad. Perhaps we shall meet another day.” She tossed her head.

“Perhaps.” Nari hugged Ivwen around the neck. “We’ll miss you.”

“Hurry up, Nari! We’ve got to go!” Chenn waved to her to follow.

“Coming, Chenn.” Nari waved goodbye to Ivwen, her heart heavy, and then she followed Chenn.

They stood before the Gate, bathed in its cool, blue glow. She stared at the ripples in the surface, feeling mesmerized by its slow, steady movement. It was sluggish in a way, but also beautiful and serene. She smiled at it, knowing that - despite the illness it brought on - it was the way home. Her mission would be complete as soon as she stepped into the swirling blue depths of the Gate.

Chenn took a deep breath, stepping through the Gate, and she followed him.

The nausea hit her in the gut as though a swarm of bees was invading her stomach, and she staggered, catching hold of Chenn’s arm. For some reason, no matter how much she prepared herself, the nausea always caught her unawares. It was just as bad as it had been the first time when she hadn’t been prepared for it.

Chenn’s hand gripped her elbow with gentle force, and a moment later, they were spit out of the Gate and onto the grassy, moss-covered floor of West Base’s landing strip. A blast of the steamy jungle air struck them, warming them as they sat there.

The moisture condensed on their skin as they sat, catching their breath on the ground. A warm breeze was blowing, ruffling their hair and clothes. Shafts of sunlight beamed out at them through the trees surrounding the landing strip, and the sky above was heavy with migrating birds.

For a moment, it seemed as though everything was peaceful and quiet. But then the nausea got the better of Chenn, and he began wretching into the moss. 

Nari managed to hold herself together despite the nausea, but Chenn's wretching was not helping.

She looked away, struggling to calm the waves of dizziness washing over her. Staring at the greenery and cerleun sky above seemed to help, so she watched the clouds instead of the ground and Chenn. Making sure to keep her gaze on the clouds so that she wouldn't become sick too, Nari rubbed his back. “Shhh…. Are you going to be alright?”

“Probably.” He muttered. “I wish I didn’t get sick like this every time I went through one of those two stupid Gates.”

“Yeah, me too. But there isn’t anything we can do about it, Chenn.” Nari soothed.

“I know.” He whispered.

His stomach roiled and churned again, and he started throwing up again.

A guard came running across the strip of grass, the lightweight uniform he wore fluttering in the wind. “Hey! What are you two doing here? Who are you?”

Nari looked up at him. “We brought some really important stuff for Andrew. It needs to get to him right away. Can you take us to him?”

“No, I can’t. I don’t know who you are, and we’re at war with the General’s brother. We can’t afford to let anyone in to see him. You could be an assassin.” The guard said, face blank of all emotion.

“I’m Nari Eaton! Just go tell him that Nari Eaton wants to see him.” Nari snapped, growing impatient with the guard.

“What about him?” The guard nudged Chenn a bit with his toe.

Chenn smacked the guard’s boot away. “Leave me alone. I’m not a dog. Keep your feet to yourself!”

The guard backed up, raising his hands. “Sorry, kid. I wasn’t trying to offend.”

“What do you think is going to happen when you…” Chenn was cut off as the rest of his lunch came up.

“What’s the matter with him?” The guard gave Chenn a disturbed look.

Nari’s face was pale as she struggled to keep her own lunch down. “We get sick going through Gates. He’s just worse than I am this time.” She muttered.

The guard nodded. “Well, I’ll give the General your message. If he wants to see you, someone will come to take you to him. Otherwise, you’ll be thrown into the dungeons until someone can interrogate you.”

Nari blanched at the idea of being in a dungeon again. She’d been in too many confinements in the past month or so, and the idea of another was terrifying.

“Thank you. You do that.” Nari responded, trying to smile.

He smiled back. “I guess it wouldn’t hurt to bring you inside the doors. You can take him to a bathroom, but I have to have a guard with you. So just wait here till I find someone.”

“Thank you, sir!” Nari gave him a genuine smile this time.

This man wasn’t bad. He was being kind to them. They were both getting more than they would at Amory’s hands, she knew.

“You’re welcome.” He turned and walked away to talk to another guard.

One of his companions walked over to them. He gave Chenn a helping hand, and they headed inside.

Finally. Just a bit more. I’ve done all I can. Now it’s up to Andrew to come see me. Nari thought as she followed the guard.

Her knees were feeling weak, and her head was spinning. The sky looked darker, gloomy even, and the trees seemed to spin and undulate in strange shapes and patterns. The grass beneath her swayed, and spots danced before her eyes.

"What's happening?" She started to call out to the guard, but her eyes were growing heavier, and the words wouldn't form.

Then she was falling. Everything was black, and she was floating. Floating away and out into the abyss. Then nothing.