Chapter 29: Secrets

Chenn looked around the shadowy hall. There was no guard posted on watch at Nari’s little storage cell.

He walked over to the door. Of course, it was locked, but Chenn had thought of that already. He pulled a little thin rod of metal out of his pocket and went to work.

 A few moments later, he was in.

Nari had heard the scraping in the lock, and sat up. When Chenn walked in, her eyes went wide, but she smiled happily. “Chenn!” She whispered.

“Yeah. I came to see you. I have something to tell you.” Chenn walked over to her, settling beside her on the mattress. 

She took one look at his face, and her grin faded. “What?” She murmured, running her fingers gently through his hair as he sat down beside her. 

“First thing, Amory wants us dead. I heard him talking with his Lieutenant General, Bjorn Fjordell. They’re trying to find a way to kill me. I already know they want you dead because they wouldn’t leave any threats alive after the war.” Chenn whispered back.

She frowned. “Then you need to get out of here.” She whispered.

“Listen to me first. I’m not going anywhere without you and the three things you came for because I don’t want Amory winning this war. Andrew should win.” Chenn hissed.

Tears sparkled in her eyes, and she smiled at him. “Oh, Chenn! When did you decide that?”

He didn't answer her question but instead continued. If he didn't tell her now, he wouldn't be able to. “I also heard some news that has to do with your deceased sister, Nari, when I was listening to them.”

Her eyes widened. “What?” Her face was pale, and her hands clenched on the blanket again.

“First, before I tell you what I heard, I should tell you something else. I’m the boy you saw in the alley that day. I’m the boy they put in jail for your sister’s murder.” Chenn looked away from her, fiddling with the lock pick.

“N-no...” Her face lost all color.

She’d known something was strange about Chenn, but she hadn’t been able to figure out what. Now she knew. It had always been his eyes that had caused vague troubles, and it was because she was remembering the eyes of that boy so long ago. They were the same person, Chenn and that boy.

“Yeah. But I didn’t kill your sister. It was all an accident. Two thugs jumped me with guns. They were trying to kill me. I ducked and dove at them just as they shot off the gun. The bullet hit your sister instead, because she walked straight out of a doorway and into it.” Chenn whispered.

 “Then why did you have the gun? Why are you lying to me?” She hissed, breath catching as tears started spilling down her cheeks.

“I’m not, Nari. I never shot your sister. I also never knew who had, and they were wearing masks, so I couldn’t give a description. I’m sorry about your sister. I’ve felt terrible about it ever since it happened.” Chenn wiped her tears away with his thumb.

She pushed his hand away. “So who sent the thugs you say were there, Chenn? And where were they? Because no one else saw anyone leave that alley. You were the only one there and you were holding the gun still hot from firing in your hand!” Her voice was cold and rising by the moment.

Her jaw muscle worked in and out, and her brain worked over time struggling to figure out what the truth was about this. It was all so painful. How dare he bring this up, and then tell her that he, the only one she cared about anymore in this world, was her sister’s murderer? How could fate play such cruel tricks on her?