3. Never Letting Go

That night, after the guests have left, and Remus and Harry are doing the dishes, Remus all of the sudden drops a plate. Harry looks over to him, and sees that he is looking terrified.

"Are you okay?" Harry asks, but Remus shakes his head.

"Go get Sirius," he says, and Harry runs out of the kitchen, up the stairs, where Sirius is in the bedroom, getting changed. Harry storms in, not even caring about what he might see.

"It's Remus, he needs you, now!" Harry says, looking worried, and Sirius quickly pulls up his pyjama bottoms, and runs down the stairs, into the kitchen, with Harry following him. Remus is sitting on the floor, his back against a cupboard, keeping his eyes closed.

"It's starting again," he whispers, as his husband kneels down beside him. He gives him a kiss on the forehead, looking really worried.

"It'll be okay," he whispers, as he picks up his husband, as if he weighs nothing. Remus wraps his arms around his husband's neck, and lets him carry him.

"What can I do?" Harry asks.

"Get me a bucket, a glass of water, a dry towel, and a wet towel," Sirius says, and he leaves, carrying his husband up the stairs, into their bedroom. When Harry gets there, Remus is on the bed, shaking and shivering, and Sirius is holding his hand. Harry puts the bucket on the floor, the glass of water on a side table, and hands both towels to Sirius, who puts them on a side table.

"Is he okay?" Harry asks, looking really scared. All colour has disappeared from his godfather's face, and he is crying and shivering, while Sirius is just holding his hand, tears in his eyes.

"He will be. Just, no matter what you hear, stay out of this room. Please, just do as I ask. I will explain, but not now."

"Okay, if there's anything I can do..."

"Thank you," Sirius says, and Harry looks back at Remus, but gets scared, and goes to his own room. Sirius kisses Remus' hand, and feels a tear rolling down his face. "You'll be okay," he whispers, knowing that Remus hears him.

"I... blg... sh...mgh...," Remus tries, pointing at his mouth, which is half hanging down now.

"I know," Sirius says. "I know. Just keep quiet, and it will go back to normal soon. I promise."

"Lrt... lkv... love," Remus tries, draining himself from energy, and Sirius can't help but smile.

"I love you too." He kisses Remus' hand again, and feels him shaking. He pulls the covers up higher, making sure that his husband isn't cold.

-----

It's been half an hour, and Remus hasn't said a word anymore. Sirius is hoping that he is asleep, but then he pulls his hand away, looking terrified.

"Has your hand gone numb?" Sirius asks, and Remus nods. "And your sight? Your speech?"

"My speech is back," Remus whispers, sounding very weak. "So is my sight. But my hand is gone, my nose is gone, my lip is gone..."

"A couple more minutes then," Sirius says, and he takes a deep breath. These were only the starting symptoms of what is about to come. "I love you."

"I love you too," Remus whispers, and Sirius kisses his forehead. He places the wet towel on his husband's forehead, gives him some sips of water, and then lies down beside him.

"I'm not leaving you," he whispers.

-----

It's been three hours since Remus had gotten ill, and Harry is in bed, but he can't sleep. The sounds that are coming out of his godfathers' bedroom are awful. There are screams, moans, cries of pain, combined with vomiting, followed by Sirius going to the bathroom to clean the bucket. The door then opens, and Harry can hear the screams and cries even louder, and they give him chills. What the hell is going on with Remus?