13. Promises

"She's beautiful," Harry says, when he first lays eyes on Hermione and Ron's baby girl, Emily. She looks just like her mother, but with a head full of fiery red hair. She had been born two days ago, and Harry had wanted to come visit them in the hospital, but there had been some complications, so Ron had asked him to stay at home. But both mother and daughter are okay now, and Harry is feeling very emotional. Almost nine years ago, he had met Ron and Hermione, and they have been through so much together, and here his friends are, all grown up, with their baby girl.

"We wanted to ask you something," Hermione says, and Harry looks up at her and Ron, who is sitting next to his girlfriend.

"Will you be Emily's godfather?"

"Really?"

"Really." Hermione flashes a shy smile, and Harry nods.
"Yes, of course. Wow, I am honoured. Thank you so much."

"Well, thank you," Hermione laughs.

"Emily is lucky with a godfather like you," Ron adds, flashing a smile, and Harry feels his stomach flip, but in the best way possible. He looks at the baby girl in Hermione's arms, and he can feel his heart fill up with love. And he knows that he will do whatever he can to protect her and to take care of her. Not only because it is now his job, but because he wants to. He would do anything for his friends. And he would do anything for their daughter.

-----

That night, when Harry is at home, alone, and he goes to the fridge to get a beer, he sees the note, the one with Draco's number on it. He still hasn't called him, but he still wants to. But every time he's about to, he changes his mind. But not tonight. He grabs his phone, and dials the number. Draco answers, and Harry feels silly, because it's been eight months since he had given him his number, and he is only now calling him. He must seem like a real prat.

"Do you want to come over?" he asks, expecting Draco to laugh, say no or hang up on him.

"Sure," Draco answers, and after Harry has given him his address, they both hang up the phone. Harry quickly gets changed into proper clothes again, not some sweatpants and a smelly t-shirt. And just as he is about to sit down, Draco rings his doorbell. Harry goes to open the door, and his heart skips a beat when he sees his ex standing there, somehow looking even better than eight months ago.

After Harry has gotten them both a beer, they sit down on the sofa, and they start talking about the weather, obviously both feeling a bit awkward.

"So ehm... how is Sirius?" Draco asks, putting his beer down on the floor.

"He woke up, the day we spoke actually. So yeah, things have been, well, yeah... But he's getting better, and things are getting back to normal again."

"I'm glad," Draco says, flashing a genuine smile. He then looks around the room, looking a bit awkward. "I thought you'd be living here with Ginny."

"Oh, well, me and Ginny, we ehm... we split up. It didn't work out," Harry says, and he could have sworn that he just saw a smile on Draco's face, before he looked away. "What about you?"

"What about me?"

"Are you seeing someone?" Harry asks, his heart racing, and Draco shakes his head, picking his beer back up, and he quickly continues drinking it.

"Is that a good thing?" he then asks, and Harry can't help but smile.

"Yes, it is," he laughs, quickly finishing his beer as well.

-----

When Harry wakes up the next morning, he has got a headache from all the beer that he and Draco had consumed, but still he remembers everything. They had been drinking until three in the morning. And they had been catching up on how they had been. And then Draco had kissed him, just like that, out of nowhere. It had lead to messy and drunken sex on the sofa. Afterwards they had managed to drag themselves to the bedroom, where things had gotten even messier.