7. Everything

The Sheikha Fatima Cup was ninety kilometers long, divided into three loops of thirty kilometers each. Over one hundred horses were competing that day. Sarah and Uma finished the second loop together, they were among the first ten horses to arrive. They dismounted quickly and handed the horses over for cooling, to later be taken to the vet check, where the doctors would determine if they were fit to continue. Vets would examine for soundness, any signs of dehydration and the overall physical condition of the horse. It was common for horses to get disqualified at vet checks, just finishing the race was often considered a victory.

"I don't know..." Said Uma, preoccupied. "I don't think Kim Belle is doing that great. This loop was tough for her."

Sarah put an arm around her friend. "Let's see what the vets say, okay?"

Every rider and horse had a group of people taking care of them throughout the race, including vets, trainers, owners and crew members. A team car followed the horse on the track in case assistance was needed and another team was in charge of cooling down the horses, by pouring buckets of water on them in between loops. Horses that passed the vet check were put on hold for forty minutes, so both equine and rider could fully recover before continuing.

Both girls stood under the shade of a tree, drinking water and waiting. Sarah was lost in a state of wonderment looking at the whole scene of horses coming and going, the water splashing over their bodies and the passion and determination on people's faces. The mix of the heat, the smell of dirt and wet horse — it might sound strange — but she loved it all. Finally, Salem gave them the signal. Their horses were ready for vet checks. Sarah was looking at Uma while Kim Belle was being examined. Princesa did not worry her, she knew the mare would pass. One of the vets said something to Uma and Sarah narrowed her eyes trying to figure out what was happening. Uma looked at her and shook her head, Kim Belle was out. Sarah rushed to embrace her friend.

"You've got this, you can do it," Uma whispered in Sarah's ear as they hugged.

"I will. For us."

Hamdan was tapping his fingers nervously on the steering wheel as he drove as fast as he could to get to the Endurance Village in Al Wathba. He changed his mind about coming to the race when Salem updated him about Princesa and Kim Belle's performance.

"I don't think we should be going. We are risking being late for the Formula 1," Uncle Saeed worried.

Saeed Hilal was holding tight onto the handle on the roof of the car.

"Those are F3 horses and they might win. I have to be there. We'll be back on time," Hamdan assured.

They arrived at the village and were immediately surrounded by a crowd of press and photographers. Hamdan politely told them he would talk to them when the race was over. All the journalists were very respectful of any members of the ruling families of the UAE and straightaway gave the three men some space to walk.

Hamdan noticed Salem walking up to them.

"How are they doing?" Hamdan asked as they shook hands.

"Kim Belle is out but Princesa is on hold, she has about 15 minutes left."

"Okay. Where's Sarah?" The Sheikh wondered.

Salem turned around. "She is over there," his finger pointing at a tent with chairs and tables, water bottles and snacks for riders.

He strode trying to get a glimpse of her over the heads of the photographers walking backwards in front of him, clicking with their cameras. Eventually, he recognized her braided hair. She was sitting with her elbows on her knees, hands covering her eyes and her black tennis shoes moving at a quick pace, surely following the music coming out of the earbuds she had on.