11. Spark

Two days later, Hamdan was still under the Sarah effect. Seeing her made him happy and put him in a good mood. He no longer cared that she had a boyfriend, he was not giving up on her, not without a fight. After the last time they talked, it was apparent to him that he also had some effect on her. That attraction he was feeling was not one sided, he was sure of it.

To boost his mood even more, he happened to have the day off and had planned to bike with his friends to Jumeirah beach for a beach volleyball match. It was almost impossible for him to stay still, lying around all day never seemed like an alluring idea. After his morning shower, he put on a salmon colored t-shirt and black shorts, and came down on one side of the double staircase that led to the grand foyer of his home, humming a song that got stuck in his head. It was one of Sarah's recommendations.

He cheerfully greeted Saeed who was waiting for him. The bodyguard was wearing grey shorts and a t-shirt.

"It's still a little early, sir," Saeed pointed out when Hamdan opened the main door.

"Yes. We're going to the stables first."

His car was ready and Hamdan sat on the passenger seat while Saeed took the G Class through the long driveway flanked by towering palm trees that lead to the main gate. In less than ten minutes, they were at the stables. Hamdan knew it was around the time that training would be over. They passed by the parking lot and he did not see Sarah's car. He wasn't sure if he had missed her or if it was Princesa's rest day. He instructed Saeed to continue towards the track.

When the car stopped he narrowed his eyes and saw Princesa in the distance with Uma struggling to make the mare walk. She was pulling the reins and Princesa would not move.

What's Uma doing with Princesa?

"Please Saeed, tell Salem I'm already here. I'll be right back."

He got out of the car, jogged up to them and heard Uma beg.

"Princesa, please!"

"Morning Uma! Is she giving you a hard time?"

"Oh, hi! Yes!" Said Uma, rolling her eyes and dropping the reins. "I don't know why she's being like this! I'm just trying to take her back to her stall."

Hamdan scratched the mare's forehead. "Come on, Princesa. What's wrong?"

He gently took the reins and pulled, Princesa snorted and took a step back.

"Okay, okay..." He whispered.

He moved to stand next to her and started running his hand up and down her back. He felt how the mare started to relax and tried to pull one more time. Princesa hesitated and took one short step, Hamdan stood in front of her and placed his palm on her muzzle.

"Come on..." He mumbled. 

When he started walking backwards Princesa followed.

"Thank you so much," relieved Uma, walking next to Hamdan. "I don't know how Sarah does it."

He turned around. "You're welcome. What happened?"

"I have no idea," Uma shrugged. "We were doing just fine and she got all moody and stubborn."

"Why is she with you? Where is Sarah?"

"She's out of town and asked me to keep an eye on her."

Out of town?

His heart clenched and his mind started racing when he thought of Sarah taking a holiday with her boyfriend. The pictures from Australia on her Instagram came to his mind.