48. Aching

"We would be the happiest, Sarah. Or at least I know I would be. But I promise I would spend every waking hour trying to make you feel the same way."

Sarah was lost in the memory. When she was not thinking about how much she missed him, she was recalling the happy times, all the sweet things he said and did and how she ruined it all.

She snapped out of it and looked at her damped hair over her face in the mirror. Not even training with Princesa was helping ease the suffering, not to mention that being at his stables was almost insufferable. She applied some hair product to her waves and gathered her belongings in a gym bag. Her phone started buzzing on the countertop of the locker room.

Tom
How are you today?

She sat on a bench and started texting back.

Sarah
It's funny how everyday I think things could not get any worse and on the next day... Surprise! Yes they can!

Sarah
I just want to crawl into a hole and die...

Tom
Still nothing from him?

Sarah
Nothing! I've texted and tried to call and nothing :(

Tom
You have tasted your medicine and oh boy! It is bitter!

Sarah
Shut up! You're not helping!

Tom
I'm sorry... I'm so depressed over this break up... I just weighed myself and I've gained 3 pounds from all the ice cream and cookies I've been eating! I can't do this anymore! Is ruining my body D:

Sarah
What break up? This is not a break up!

Tom
I'm getting Ross and Rachel vibes here...

Sarah
It's not over! It can't be! I only need one chance... You think he'll kick me out if I go to his place?

Tom
Hard to tell... I never thought he could ignore your texts and phone calls!

Tom
You should've told him about his dad.

Sarah
He said nothing justified me leaving like that... It would've made things worse, I'm sure.

Tom
I wonder if he would answer MY texts...

Sarah
Don't you dare!!! Stay out of it!

Tom
I need the 2 of you back together! This is bringing back memories of my parents' divorce. Perhaps I should make an appointment with my therapist.

"You're ready?" Uma asked, making Sarah break eye contact with the screen.

"Yeah," she replied.

Uma pulled her hair back on a ponytail in front of the mirror. "Me too. Let's go."

Sarah
Gotta go, have a meeting. Facetime tonight?

Sarah shoved her bag in the locker and put the phone in her pocket without reading Tom's answer, she already knew what it would be.

The girls met with Hassan and Ghanim on their way to the meeting room. Despite her efforts, it was obvious that there was something wrong with Sarah and her friends had been desperately trying to cheer her up. She blamed everything on her family emergency but Hassan in particular was not buying it, he was convinced that it was all about a guy.

"I wonder how Texas is doing without its lone star?" Hassan teased while they crossed the gardens.

Sarah scoffed and rolled her eyes.