45. Quitting

I was a little girl alone in my little world
Who dreamed of a little home for me.
I played pretend between the trees
And fed my houseguests bark and leaves
And laughed in my pretty bed of green...

---

Sarah's afternoon nap was not working, after one more week at the ranch, the longing was becoming unbearable and she was finding it hard to sleep even during the day time. The house was quiet since her parents, uncle and aunt were down at the realtor's office, putting the last touches on the Hickman property deal after they accepted The Andersons' most recent offer.

Sarah ambled downstairs to her grandma's bedroom and found her sitting on the bed watching T.V. A light colored blanket was covering her legs while she rested comfortably against the white pillows and cushions. Sarah knocked on the opened door.

"Come in, doll!" Grandma Fay smiled.

Sarah walked in, dragging her feet on the dark hardwood floor. "What are you watching?"

Grandma waved her hand dismissively. "Just an old movie."

"Would you scratch my head?" Sarah begged, crawling onto the bed.

"Sure," Grandma placed a pillow on her lap for Sarah to rest her head.

Sarah stared blankly at the black and white images on the screen while grandma Fay ran her fingers through her hair. She was so emotionally exhausted that nothing seemed exciting anymore, not even horses. Her designs for the agency had been returned because the clients did not like them, but they were the best she could manage at the moment. Her boss agreed to give her a week off but that was all she got. Remaining in the same spot was no longer possible, she needed to come up with a plan, a decision, anything that got her to resume back life.

"My hair used to look like this, you know?" Grandma's hand traveled along her hair.

"I think I need a haircut," Sarah mentioned. "It's getting too long."

"I have an appointment tomorrow at the salon for my pedicure, you should come," Grandma suggested.

Sarah smiled at the idea. "We'll go together then."

"Good," Grandma replied. "So... when are you going to tell me about this little piece of ham of yours?"

Sarah laughed and propped herself up to look at grandma. "My what?"

"Wasn't his name something with ham in it?" Grandma squinted her blue eyes. "Or is my mind playing tricks on me?"

"Hamdan," Sarah reminded her.

"See? Well, I'm calling him your piece of ham," Grandma winked.

"Ham is not halal, you know?" Sarah remarked.

Grandma pouted. "We'll make it turkey ham."

Sarah chuckled but her laugh soon turned sour and her eyes filled with tears, again.

"What's wrong, doll?" Grandma lovingly ran a hand on the side of her face.

"I miss him," Sarah sniffed, wiping the tears on her cheeks.

"Then why aren't you with him?"

Sarah closed her eyes for a moment and exhaled. "It's complicated."

"Does he love you?" Grandma asked.

Sarah nodded.

"Do you love him?"

"Yes."

"Is he married?"

Sarah's eyes opened wide. "Grandma!"