Chapter Six

“Hurry up!” I whisper-yell into the darkness. Mary jogs lightly towards Silver, Patch and I. When she reaches us, she quickly climbs on Patch and we start trotting down the dirt road. “What did you tell your parents?”

Mary laughs and smiles at me. “That I’m staying a friend’s house in Springdale and that she was picking me up.”

I roll my eyes. Mary had become the opposite of who she used to be. Before, she was a goody-two-shoe who never raised her voice or lied. Now, however she lies, yells and even swears occasionally.

“How’s you and Emery?” she asks, and my heart sinks. Sighing, I wish I knew what to say.

“He’s gone,” I whisper, and when she asks why, I tell her everything.

“River,” she murmurs, reaching between the space between us and grabbing my hand. “I’m so sorry. He is being so unfair! You did the right thing; what anyone else would do.”

I shrug and we ride in silence until we get home. I told my parents she would secretly be coming over, and even though they didn’t approve, they let her anyways because her parents are in the wrong.

“Maybe being away from each other is a good thing for a little while,” Mary suggests as we slow to a walk on my driveway. “Then he can realize he really loves you and will come back.” I don’t respond as we climb off our horses. Mary had been on a right streak lately, but it had to end somewhere. I just hope it doesn’t end now.

It turns out, that Mary had to go all the way to Redwood Valley to get the police. Her parents had gone out that night without telling her, and locked the house. As much as I love her parents, I’m extremely mad at them and more frustrated. It wasn’t their fault with what happened in the barn, but they told Emery’s dad where we live, and then went out the night everything happened. How can they be afraid of me when some things are partly their fault?

“Don’t think he won’t come back,” Mary scolds me as we lead the horses towards the fence of the cow pen. “I promise you will see him. Besides, you-“

Mary’s cut off as a loud bang sounds in the barn. The horses neigh and rear nervously as we listen to see if there are any more noises. When there isn’t, Mary and I start whispering.

“Let’s go check it out,” she tells me, tying Patch to the fence. I follow in suit with Silver, but I don’t budge from where I stand. “River, I know you don’t want to go in the barn, but you have to face your fear at some point.” She grabs my wrist and pulls gently. “Isn’t this how you met Emery?” After everything Mary just said about Emery coming back, I’m sold. Sure, it is slightly unlikely that he would take a flight back and show up in the barn like when I first found him. But at this point, I need the slightest bit of hope to hold on to.

Mary and I creep towards the barn slowly. At the same time, we silently peer into the aisle. There’s nothing there, so we straighten out and walk inside. My heart races as we take slow steps. I resist the urge to run at full speed out of the barn as I become lightheaded. The last time I did this, Emery’s father was inside. The time before that, Emery was hiding. Had he actually come back?

“Emery?” Mary gently calls, her voice shaking on edge. Clearly she’s thinking what I’m thinking; that Emery can’t possibly just up and leave me.

“Boo!”

Mary and I jump back, screaming. Both of us are shielding out faces, huddling into each other.

“Who the hell is Emery?”

Slowly, we shakily lower our arms. Standing a few feet in front of us, after jumping out of a stall, stands the infamous Vince. He’s tall and clearly built as Mary and I can see. He wears a white wife beater and plain blue jeans. Like the last time I saw him, his head is shaved closely.