Chapter Twenty-Two

The woman who stitches me back up is named Lily. She’s the only one who’s been kind to me here however I’m growing more and more bitter. Most of the time, I just wish they would hurry up and kill me. I’ve done nothing to them and yet they make me pay for my father’s death.

“Stop helping me,” I snap, as Lily stitches on of my open cuts on my wrist. I don’t get mad because it hurts, or because I want to be alone. I’m mad because I’m tired of this process and repeating it every single day.

“What?” She barely looks up at me as I avoid looking at the needle. However she doesn’t stop. I just shake my head and glare down at her.

“Just let me die.”

Lily doesn’t respond until she’s happy with her stitching. She puts the needle away and puts her hands on her hips, not standing from her crouching position. We’re level as I sit in the chair I’m tied to almost every day.

“Do not talk like that, Emery,” she says sternly with narrowed eyes. She’s acted almost like a mother to me ever since I got here. She tells me about her life and how her husband refuses to have kids. She got sucked into living here after he got a phone call about my father’s death. Though unlike the others, she doesn’t blame me.

“Why not?” I laugh bitterly. “Why would I even want to live when it’s pure hell, every single day?”

Lily sighs and rises to her feet. “I have an idea,” she whispers slowly. She presses a finger to her lips in the windowless basement. Slowly, she creeps up the stairs and I hear the door creak open. Moments later, she quietly rushes back down.

“What are you doing?” I whisper, feeling the urge to be quiet as she cuts the ropes that hold me still. Once I’m out I rub my wrists and rise to my shaky feet

“I’m helping you escape.”

I stagger towards the stairs after Lily. We silently tip toe up, even though it’s physically painful to keep quiet. Upstairs I see that one of the men is crashed on the couch in the small, dirty living room. More snores echo from down the hall where I assume the bedrooms are. Lily gestures for me to follow her and we sneak towards the front door. She gently wraps her fingers around the handle and squeezes her eyes shut. The door opens completely silent.

Into the night, she drives me in a filthy car towards the airport. Mr. Snow had given me money to buy a flight back if I needed one and the men stole it. So when Lily produces the same amount of money and hands it to me as we pull into the parking lot, I can’t help but hug her.
Sure, the people she’s forced to live with are disgusting criminals. However she isn’t one of them. After I’ve purchased my plane ticket, I make a quick call to Mr. Snow to pick me up at the airport. It’s in a town not far from Redwood Valley. As I sit and wait for my flight, I can’t stop replaying the torture over and over in my head. The fact that human beings can do that to one another completely appals me. However it’s over. It’s all over. At least for now.

I stare out the window and feel a strange feeling course through me. It reminds me of hope, however it’s not quiet that. Staring at the starry sky, I can’t help but wonder if River is staring at it too.

“Oh Emery,” I cry, wrapping my arms around him. “I’m so happy you’re okay!” Tears rush from my cheeks as I hug him tightly.

“River,” Emery murmurs, pulling away to stare into my eyes. The blue in his suck me in as he wipes away my tears with his sleeve. “Remember what I said to you when I lost my memory?”

My cheeks instantly flush and I break eye contact. “You said a lot of things then,” I mumble, staring at the ground.

“Well,” he smiles, lifting my chin so I can’t look away. “There’s something that I said should change when I remember you.” He grins ear to ear and rises to his feet. Grabbing my hands, he slowly brings me into a standing position in front of him. “Turn around.” I watch him with cautious eyes before I turn around. Suddenly I feel hands on the back of my neck and I hear a clicking sound.

“What are you doing?” I spin around, staring at the necklace Emery holds gently in the palm of his hand. Not answering my question, he walks towards my bedside table with a smirk and pulls out the small, silver box. He places the necklace inside and walks back to me, holding the box behind his back so I can’t see it.

“I’m changing the past,” he grins, standing directly in front of me. “It’s a do-over, so try to act surprised.” I roll my eyes as he removes the silver box from behind his back. He holds it out to me and I take it, giving him an are-you-serious look. Slowly, I open the lid and do my best to act surprised. “Here,” Emery murmurs, taking out the necklace and walking behind me. He drapes the tiny horse over my neck and clasps it together. When he stands in front of me, he doesn’t look impressed. Instead, he looks extremely disappointed.

“What is it?” I ask nervously. I pretended to be surprised and didn’t fake the real happiness I feel right now because of how adorable he’s being. What could I have done wrong?

“You’re not playing along,” he sighs, giving me a look. When I ask him what I’m supposed to do, a small smile creeps its way across his lips. “There was something you said that night…” He trails off, raising his eyebrows.

My face grows hot and I look at the ground, embarrassed. Emery takes my hands and pulls me closer. Gently, he brushes his lips against mine. He pulls back, but only slightly. He’s teasing me until I say it. Instead of waiting, I push forward and kiss him before he can move away. Drawing back, I smile shyly.

“Emery Hastings,” I breathe, as he squeezes my hands. “I think I’m in love with you.”

He grins ear to ear and kisses the tip of my nose. “And River Snow,” he murmurs, brushing my hair behind my ear. “I know I’m in love with you.” I look away nervously however Emery moves me back to meet his eyes. “That’s why,” he grins, pressing his forehead against mine. “I want you to be my girlfriend.”

His eyes flicker with happiness and mine instantly grow wide. “W-what?” I stammer, shocked.

“You heard me.” Despite his scars and war wounds, he looks absolutely, one-hundred percent astounding as he stands in front of me, grinning widely. “So, will you?”

The words get caught in my throat and as wide as I open my mouth, they refuse to come out. Obviously, I want to start screaming the word yes, however I’m completely speechless. Emery raises his eyebrows, waiting for an answer. So since I can’t speak, I give him the next best thing. Standing on my toes, I reach up and press my lips to his.

For the first time, I’m kissing Emery Hastings as his girlfriend. My fingers pull his head closer to me as his wrap around me in an embrace. Once again, it feels like we’re the only two people in world. It feels like nothing bad ever happened to us before this moment. It feels like complete and pure love.

I have never felt this way before in my entire life. I can’t comprehend how I ever considered disgusting Vince, and I hope he rots in jail when the police find him. Emery is the one I love and always will love, not anyone else. Not Vince.

Somehow Emery and I end up on my bed. I’m leaning over Emery, my hands becoming tangled in his hair. He hugs my back, giving me no chance of escaping him however I don’t plan on it. Eventually Emery tops kissing me back since I have him pinned down. Instantly, I pull away as my nerves start to make me worried that I did something a wrong.

“So is this a yes?” He smirks, pushing my hair out of my face. “Are you my girlfriend, River Snow?”

Rolling my eyes, I place my lips on his. “Of course, Emery Hastings.”