Epilogue

I pace back and forth along the treeline, waiting for Emery to arrive. I told him to meet me here so we won’t be disturbed by my parents and so they don’t overhear what I have to tell him.

Silver grazes nearby, eating the fresh spring grass. I expect Emery to ride over but as I see his figure approaching from a distance away, I realize he probably isn’t comfortable tacking a horse up by himself. I feel bad for him having to walk, however I’m going to feel a lot worse when I tell him my news. Well, I guess it’s our news.

I immediately stop pacing when I realize he’s watching me so instead I clasp my hands together, trying not to fidget. I quickly fail and start fixing my hair and pulling at my light clothes. By the time Emery is only twenty steps away, I take a deep breath and try to calm down. He’s smiling, happy to see me and I hate to ruin his good mood.

“Do you think I need to lose weight or something?” Emery laughs lightly, kissing my forehead as he stops in front of me.

“Sorry about the walk,” I mumble nervously, staring at the ground. “I would have come out here with you but I didn’t know where you were.”

Emery notices my strange mood and raises my head by my chin. “I went with your dad to run some errands,” he tells me, watching me closely. “How long have you been waiting for? I came as soon as I saw your note in your room.”

He must know I’m not thinking straight. All my thoughts revolve around one single thing. However I can’t help it. I hate being the only one to know something this important.

“Half an hour,” I say quietly, not wanting him to feel as bad as I am.

“What do you want to talk about?” I stare at my feet as he speaks, too scared to meet his gaze. When he notices my glassy eyes he gets worried. “What’s wrong, River?” He murmurs, brushing my hair behind my ear. “Is it Patch?” He asks quietly, not wanting to upset me more. I shake my head no; Patch is perfectly fine. “Then what is it?”

“Emery,” I whisper, finally looking up at him. As soon as I meet his concerned eyes I start to cry. “I love you so much!” Instantly he wraps his arms around me and pulls me against his chest. He rests his chin on the top of my head and strokes my hair.

“I love you too, River. You know that,” he says gently. “You know you can tell me anything.”

I exhale nosily and pull back from him. He still holds my sides, not wanting to let go. I don’t know how to even tell him expect for say the two words that can ruin everything. They can tear us both apart and we really don’t need that right now. However after all we’ve been through together in such a short time, surely our relationship can survive this, can’t it?

“I know,” I whisper, my voice barely making a sound. “I’m just scared to.” The wind blows my hair in my face and Emery move the strands out of my eyes.

“There’s no reason to be scared.” His voice grows quiet as he puts himself in my place. “I’m different now, you know that.”

“But this,” I sob, wiping tears from my sides. “This can make you change again. This can make you leave me.” I burst into even more tears as I speak, thinking about Emery leaving me all over again. I don’t think I would be able to handle that again, especially not with this.

“River.” Emery pulls me closer to him and he kisses my forehead. “I promise I won’t leave you.” He doesn’t say anything about changing and it makes me twice as worried as I already am. “You need to tell me what’s going on so I can help you.”

His eyes don’t leave mine as he watches me closely; clearly anxious about why I’m so upset. He looks absolutely perfect and it just makes this harder to tell him. His scars have faded and are replaced by a semi-permanent smile. I really don’t want to do this to him and ruin everything, but I don’t really have much of a choice.

“River Snow,” Emery says firmly, holding onto me tighter. “I love you more than anything and because I do, you need to tell me why you’re upset.” He brushes away my tears with his thumb and waits for an answer. I feel like my words are stuck in my throat however I somehow manage to choke them out.

“Emery,” I whisper, staring into his eyes. “I’m pregnant.”