Chapter Eight

“You’re cleared.”

My parents and I stare at Ms. Bartlett in disbelief. We sit in her small office, as she stares at us, hands clasped together.

“Everything’s gone perfectly,” she smiles. “No more court.”

My mom laughs happily, wiping tears from her eyes while my dad thanks Ms. Bartlett and shakes her hand. After we tie loose ends and I get an official document stating that what happened was defense, and I’m no threat to others, we head outside.

“I take that it went well?” Vince asks, leaning against my truck. He insisted on coming, and driving me here for no reason whatsoever. I can’t stop smiling so I just say yes and kiss the paper I have clutched tight.

“I’m going to Mary’s quick,” I tell my parents as they climb into my dad’s truck. I stand in the passenger side door, bouncing happily on my feet. “I need to show her and her parents my new official document,” I grin, waving it in front of them.

“Just be good, River,” my dad says sternly. I tell him I will and rush towards my own truck.

“I’m driving,” smirks Vince, twirling the keys around his forefinger. Shrugging, I climb into the passenger side. “Mary lives to the left of you, right?”

Rolling my eyes, I tell him yes as we pull out of the parking lot. Once we’re on the country roads, I frown.

“Why are you driving so slowly?” The truck says that we’re going eighty, but it feels more like forty.

“I’m over the speed limit,” Vince laughs, giving me a strange look. “I don’t remember you being a speed demon.”

I scrunch my face in confusion. “I’m not; I just think you’re going extremely slow. We don’t have all day.” I stare out at the country fields, covered in a fresh blanket of snow. I have a death grip on the paper that will hopefully gain back the trust of my best friend’s parents.

“Whatever you say, River.” Vince steps on the gas and soon we’re speeding down the road. Getting bored with only the sound of the truck, I flick on the radio and surf through the stations. It takes me a few minutes to find one with good signal and a song I recognize.

It’s only been on for thirty seconds when Vince changes the station.

“Hey!” I glare at him and flick it back to what I’m listening to. “My truck, my music.”

“You call this music?” Vince laughs darkly, glancing towards me out of the corner of his eye. “This is horrible. Who is it, anyway?”

I roll my eyes and continue to stare out the window, now aggravated. “Lamb of God,” I tell him, matter-of-factly. Then, when I realize the words that just left my mouth, I slam it shut. I quickly flick off the radio and sit in silence.

He used to listen to them, didn’t he?” Vince nods at me, but I avoid making eye contact. I open my mouth to defend myself, but Vince speaks before I can. “And he used to drive fast? Don’t defend yourself, it’s obvious, River.”

I hadn’t even realized what I was doing. I’m trying to get Vince to replace Emery by driving fast and listening to his music. Sighing, I lean my head on my hand and wait until we get to Mary’s. Vince can never replace Emery. Never.

“That’s it,” I tell Vince, pointing to Mary’s farmhouse. He nods, and pulls in the driveway. “I’ll be right back,” I mumble, jumping out of the truck with my paper. I walk lightly to her house and knock on the door. Hopefully her parents are in a good mood.

“River!” Mary squeals, leaning forward and wrapping me in a hug. I hear footsteps behind her and soon Mr. Smith appears in the doorway. Mary pulls back shyly, and her father, steps in front of her.

“You are not supposed to be here, River. I thought you knew that.” My excited mood has vanished, now replaced by uncertainty. Without much to say, I hold the paper up in front of Mr. Smith’s face so he can read it. I watch his expression go from mad to shocked in about twenty seconds. “You’re showing me this why?”

“Dad,” Mary snaps, and he turns to face her. “You said I could see her again if the court declared her safe to be around. We’ve known her my whole life! Stop overreacting!”

Mr. Smith only shakes his head and avoids looking at me while he turns around. He walks away, still shaking his head as Mary hugs me again.

“We are so hanging out all the time again!” She grins, pulling back. “I’m so happy!”

I hear Vince honk the horn and I clench my teeth. Mary leans to see past me and when she faces me again, she raises her eyebrows.

“What’s going on with you two?”

“Nothing,” I say quickly, and sigh. “I guess I have to go. Call me later?”

Mary smiles and hugs me for the third time. “Promise!” We say our goodbyes and I rush back to the truck where Vince is impatiently waiting.

“You didn’t have to be rude,” I snap, slamming my door. “I rarely get to see her, you know.”

Vince doesn’t respond until we pull onto County Road Six. “I rarely get to see you, too.” I press my lips tightly together and don’t say anything during the short ride home. It’s clear what Vince intentions are, but what are mine? Sure, he’s changed a lot, and he is pulling his weight on the farm. However if I’m trying to get him to replace Emery, who I’ve promised to no longer love, does that mean I’m willing to try and love Vince?

I quickly push the thought as far away as possible while we pull into my driveway. Running across the space, are four curious goats.

“Did you put them out in the fenced field today?” I ask, exhaling nosily. Vince nods with eyes wide and I roll my own. “They’re small enough to get out.”

We climb out of the truck and gather the goats, putting them back in the barn where they belong. Once that’s all done, I start to head to the house. Vince looks like he wants to say something, but I don’t stick around long enough for him to speak. As soon as I walk into the house, the phone rings.

“That’s Mary! I got it!” I call to my parents, who are somewhere in the house. Laughing, I pick up the phone and lean against the wall to stare out the window. I told her to call, but I didn’t think she would this quickly.

“Hey Mary,” I laugh, twirling the long cord around my fingers. “You couldn’t wait, could you?”

Instead of Mary’s usual quick, giggly response, I get silence. Then breathing.

“Emery?” I whisper. He hasn’t phoned lately, and my heart starts to race. Even though he doesn’t say anything, it lights me up inside to know he’s there. “Please don’t hang up.” He has to be calling me for a reason. I wonder if it’s just to hear my voice.

The line doesn’t go dead, and I still hear faint breathing every so often, so I know he’s still on the other end. I have no idea what to say, so I blurt out the first thing that comes to mind.

“I won the case,” I tell him, sliding down the wall until I’m sitting on the floor. “Everything is going to be okay.”

No response, but I’m expecting that. So I continue talking. I tell Emery about how Mary and I can hang out again, how Vince is living with us now, and every other small, silly detail about my boring life. Emery stays on the other end the whole time, breathing occasionally when I pause to make sure he’s still there.

I keep telling myself that I’m not breaking my promise. Sure, I’m talking to Emery. But he’s living who knows where right now with his aunt, and it’s not like he’s saying anything to me.

“You know,” I mumble, pushing my luck. “It would be nice to hear you say something so I know you’re still there.” I wait for a response, and all I get is Emery exhaling nosily into to the phone. Then, he hangs up.

Rising to my feet, I put the phone back in the cradle. Sure, nothing much just happened, but it’s a start, isn’t it?

Walking over to the window, I lean against the wall and stare out onto the farm. Vince is scattering hay across the snow for the horses and I can’t help but wonder, since Emery is gone, will Vince be who I end up with?