Chapter Twenty-One

Authors Note:

Normally I don't really do this Author's Note thing, however this one is slightly important! I'm so sorry for not updating for a few days but I had to update Mircrosoft Word for some reason, which is where I write and keep my stories. ANYWAYS I promise I will try to post one more chapter today! I am SO sorry!

Also, this chapter is a bit different so beware! I hope you like it! :)

It’s been exactly one week since Emery Hastings remembered me. The time since then has been the best in my entire life. I expected him to be angry with me, hate me and hurt me all over again. However no such thing has happened yet. Instead, he treats me with love and respect. What more could I ask for?

“What are you doing?” I ask with a smirk, ducking under the fence into the horse’s field. Emery lies a few feet in front of me, staring up at the sky. “You’re going to catch hypothermia.”

Emery laughs. “That sounds familiar.”

I plop down in the snow beside him and instantly he snuggles into me. “It’s calming, isn’t it?” I ask, watching the fluffy white clouds float by. Winter’s just about over and we haven’t had any more snow in a while.

“Yes, but that’s not why I’m here,” he murmurs. “I was waiting for you to find me.”

“Oh really?” I whisper, as I kiss his cheek. “And why is that?”

“I want to talk to you.”

For a minute my heart begins to pound and I feel lightheaded. I hated those words because they never bring good news. Then, I calm myself and take a deep breath.

“About what?” Emery avoids my eyes and stares up into the sky. I follow his gaze and try to focus on the shapes of the clouds instead of the worry and dread swirling inside of me.

“About what happened when I went to live with my aunt.” He exhales noisily and I know it’s hard for him to talk about it. I grab his gloved hand in mine and give it a comforting squeeze. “The first thing you should know,” he says sternly. “Is that there never was an aunt.”

My eyes grow wide but I know not to freak out or I would ruin my chance at finding out what happened. Instead of jerking straight up and yelling, I do my best to stay calm.

“What are you talking about, Emery?” I whisper, feeling his hand tighten against mine.

“It was just one of my father’s friend’s wives who called your dad. She pretended to be my mother’s sister when really she was leading me into a trap.”

“Now that we have the chance, we’re going to make you suffer,” the woman snaps, grabbing me by my hair and throwing me down the basement stairs. I had just gotten off the phone with Mr. Snow to tell him I got here safely, even if it was a huge lie. By the time I hit the bottom I feel like hell, as my limbs and head smashes onto every single step. I hear her laugh as footsteps head down towards me, however they’re too loud to be hers.

Two men appear above me and stare down with evil grins. One nudges me hard in the side with his foot and the other spits on me.

“So this is the little Hastings bastard,” one of them laughs, as I try to pick myself up off the ground. As soon as my hands are pushing me up, I’m kicked hard in my side, causing me to whimper. I collapse on the ground and decide to stay there. With a pounding head and blurry vision, getting up isn’t an option. “Not much fight left in him. Let’s change that.”

Partly unconscious from hitting my head, I don’t struggle as they drag me across the cold concrete. I’m lifted into a chair as my vision swirls, blurring the images in front of me together. I feel my hands being tied by rope and soon two faces, barely able to tell them apart, are in my line of vision.