Chapter Twenty-Eight

I can’t stop shaking. As I stare up at Keith, he stares down at Emery, shocked beyond belief. He just shot the person who he’s wanted revenge against ever since Mr. Hastings died. I wait for him to shoot me, however he doesn’t move. The only part of him that shows any recognition of life is his hand, shaking as it holds the gun that just fired.

Emery’s eyes meet mine. He’s draped over me, his arms holding himself up so he can see my face. His mouth gasps for air as his eyes start to lose their life. For the first time in my life, I have absolutely no idea what to do. I know I need to put pressure on Emery’s wound, however with Keith standing over me, still pointing the gun, moving would wake him up out of his trance.

Then, sirens blare. Everything becomes a pain infused haze. The noise, though distant, rings loud in my ears. Many footsteps move upstairs as I watch shock and terror appear on Keith’s face. He drops his gun and collapses onto his knees, leaning over his presumed dead son.

Emery’s head lies on my chest, listening to my heart beat as he struggles to stay alive. His arms are wrapped around me as tightly as he can, not ever wanting to let me go. By the time the paramedics pull him off of me, his eyes are closed.

Three Days Later:

“Nothing but bed rest for a week and a half,” the nurse instructs, leading my parents and I to Emery’s hospital room. I grip my crutches tightly, even limping faster than my parents are walking. I saw Emery many times the last few days, but he was either doped up on pain drugs or asleep. This time I’ve been assured he’s awake and waiting for me. “Then no heavy lifting for two weeks after that.”

She turns into a room on the left, where sunlight is streaming in, lighting everything up. Instantly, my eyes meet Emery. He’s grinning widely, exactly like I am because he’s happy to see me. For a moment, I’m stunned. Joyful tears leave my eyes as Emery opens his arms. I limp into his hug and feel his arms wrap around me.

When my parents walk in I slowly pull back to take him in. He’s not wearing a shirt but instead bandages around his torso from the stab wound and a few broken ribs. His eyes look tired but overjoyed and his lips are curled in a smile.

“We really need to stop ending up in here,” he laughs lightly, intertwining his fingers with mine. I sit down softly on the bed beside him and give him a look.

We?” I laugh, raising my eyebrows. “I think you mean you.”

“Call me if you need anything,” the nurse says, leaving my family to ourselves.

“We have some good news,” my mother grins, wrapping her arm around my father’s waist. I already know what they’re going to say however Emery hasn’t heard anything yet. He watches them eagerly, knowing exactly what it involves.

“Keith,” my father sighs, a smile on his lips. “Has helped the police find everyone else who hurt you, Emery. He’s in jail along with the people that tricked you.”

After what happened, I spilled everything Emery told me to my parents. It turns out it was a good idea, too. I watch Emery closely, hoping he isn’t going to get mad at me later. Instead, his eyes stay on my father’s.

“Vince?

My dad nods his head sombrely as he takes a deep breath. It must be hard for him, having someone he thought he could turn his life around end up like Vince did. However I know that even though he’s not happy about Vince, under the grief is bundled up anger for what he tried to do to Emery and I.

“He’s dead,” I whisper to Emery. His eyes flicker to mine, full of wonder and sadness. “I killed him.”

At the time, I still don’t think it was my intention to kill Vince. All I really wanted was to save Emery’s life for a second time. But it turns out the knife as pierced his lung and without immediate medical attention, he wouldn’t have survived anyway.

“Oh, River,” he murmurs, wrapping his arms around me. My parents leave the room, knowing we need a moment alone after all we’ve been through. “I’m so sorry.” I for once am completely still and Emery is the one shaking. “I keep dragging you into this.”

I slowly pull out of his grasp and place my lips on his forehead. “It’s not your fault, Emery,” I whisper, moving back and brushing his hair out of his eyes. “And if I could trade you to take back everything that happened,” I murmur, giving him a small smile. “I wouldn’t.”

I pull out of the hospital parking lot, keeping a watching eye on Emery to make sure he’s perfectly okay to come home. I’m just about to pull onto the road to head home when he places a hand over mine on the steering wheel, stopping me.

“River Snow,” he smiles. “I love you more than anything in the world.”

My cheeks blush as he leans over and places a gently kiss upon my lips. I don’t know how long we’ve been kissing when I hear a honk behind us. We both jump and I move my foot to the gas, embarrassed that whoever behind us is annoyed.

“Go that way,” Emery points to the left. Turning right would mean going home. Even though I don’t know where he wants to go, I turn left.

“Where are we going?” I ask curiously, driving down the main road in Redwood Valley.

“The graveyard.” He turns his head to look out his window so I can’t see his face. I already know why we’re heading there so I don’t ask while we drive in silence. By the time we’re pulling into the unfamiliar cemetery, Emery still doesn’t look at me.

I’ve only been here a handful of times when I was younger to visit my grandparent’s graves on my father’s side. They were the only family we had close to here and now we have none. The rest of my father’s live out west and my mother’s live farther south.

“Do you want me to come?” I ask softly, resting a hand on Emery’s shoulder as he opens the truck door. He finally turns to me but his eyes are downcast. He’s upset as he nods once before climbing out of the truck and out of my grasp.

He’s really not supposed to be walking around but I can’t say no to this request. I hold his hand tightly, not wanting to let him go as we slowly walk up the gravel path. When we reach a location board, Emery refuses to look for the grave plot he wants. Instead, I search the many names until I find the only two people under Hastings.

We walk slowly to the right as I try to map out where exactly we’re heading to. Emery doesn’t speak, so I don’t either. This is extremely hard for him and I don’t want to make it worse. The graves are right under a large Oak tree, its green leaves just starting to grow. The fact that Emery’s father is lying beside his mother, who he murdered makes me angry. However, my dad told me a while ago that it was an already reserved plot and Emery agreed to have him buried here.

We don’t have any flowers so instead Emery kneels down, trembling from the pain. I keep a gentle hand on his shoulder to make sure he’s okay. He doesn’t speak out loud as silent tears roll down his cheeks. I know for sure he’s saying a lot in his head while I read the grave’s inscription. ‘Silas Hastings. He taught other’s to learn from his mistakes.’

Emery must have chosen it, no doubt. In front of me, he shakily rises to his feet and moves two steps to the left to where his mother lies. ‘Marley Hastings. Loving mother.’ It says nothing more. Emery bends over and gently kisses the top of the rectangle shaped grave.

For a moment, I debate whether or not heading forty steps down the gravel path to pay my respects to someone else. He really doesn’t deserve it; however I need to find closure. As Emery straightens out I point towards where I’m heading and he nods. I don’t try to take him with me knowing it will only make him angry.

There’s no inscription on Vince’s grave except for his name and dates. Slowly, I sink down to my knees and sit in front of it. I’m getting my bare knees dirty in my plain dress, as Vince was only buried two days ago. I try to think of something to say, or something to do like Emery had. However I don’t come up with anything for a while.

Instead, I stare at the stone, tears leaving my eyes. I can’t believe I killed Vince, whether it was unintentional or not. I didn’t mean for it to end this way at all. I know I’ve been sitting here for a while when I feel Emery’s hand squeeze my shoulder. I hadn’t even noticed him coming over.

Finally, I find two words that are the most I can say. I press two fingers to my lips and touch the grave.

“I’m sorry,” I whisper, my voice catching in the breeze. I slowly rise to my feet and sink into Emery’s open arms.