Chapter Seven

“The fence is finally finished,” sighs my dad at dinner. It’s taken two weeks, but now the horses can finally roam free. Well, kind of free. “Should last a few years.”

Vince watches me as he eats, sitting in Emery’s seat. For the two weeks he’s been here, he finds every excuse to talk to me. It seems as if we have sort of switched places since the last time I saw him.

“Just in time,” smiles my mom, looking past me. I turn around to see snow slowly falling in giant flakes. I gasp, and jump out of my seat. I’ve always thought the first snowfall is the most important. “Where are you going?” She calls after me, as I rush for my boots. Slinging my arms through my coat, I rush to get outside.

Staring up at the dark, cloudy sky, I let the snow fall on my face. Sticking out my tongue, I laugh as the first snowflake of the year hits it and quickly disappears. I twirl a few times, laughing and smiling, until I feel hands on my shoulders.

Vince spins me around to face him and I wiggle out of his grasp. “There’s the River I remember,” he smiles, but his eyes still watch my body.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I snap, pulling my wavy hair out of my jacket. My mood quickly goes from joyful to sour in a matter of seconds.

“I just mean that you haven’t been yourself lately. What’s up?” I avoid his eyes and turn my gaze up to the night sky.

“Nothing,” I mumble, trying to scavenge the happiness out of the first snowfall.

“You know,” he says, following my eyes. “Your dad briefly filled me in.” My head instantly snaps down and I stare at Vince through narrowed eyes. He’s wearing a light beige jacket that I’ve never seen before. “Don’t look so surprised. It’s obvious that you’re different.”

“Look, Vince,” I snap, shoving my hands in my grey coat pockets. “Just leave it alone, okay?”

Vince shrugs, following me by putting his hands in his pockets. “I just know where you’re coming from, and whoever this Emery guy is, it doesn’t sound like he’s helping you get over what happened.” He turns away and starts to walk towards the barn, abandoning his half-eaten dinner. He turns his head and calls over his shoulder. “If you want to talk, you know where to find me.”

Then he’s gone. Sighing, I turn and head into the house. My happy mood from the snow ruined, I trudge up the front steps. I wish that Emery could have been here to spend this moment with me, rather than Vince.

After I finish my dinner, and my parents are watching TV, I pick up the phone. Sliding down the length of the wall, I hug my knees. I dial Emery’s number. It rings, and I bite my tongue, praying he will answer. It rings a second time, and I wonder if this will be the time he will answer. By the third ring, I start to lose hope. Two weeks ago I had his number, and not once has anyone ever answered the phone.

By the time it stops ringing because no one answers; I sigh and hang up the phone. Still on the floor, I stop my head into my knees. I need Emery more than anything right now. Things don’t feel right without him, and sadly, Vince is right. Emery is the only one who can help me get over what happened, and he only made things worse.

The conversation that took place ten minutes ago repeats in my head and I slowly rise to my feet. Against every bone in my body, I head outside and walk slowly to the barn. By now, the ground is starting to accumulate snow and my boots leave footprints.

This will be the second time I’ve been in the barn, and this time by myself. I stop, take a deep breath, and step inside. Everywhere I look, makes me gasp. Memories of what happened in every place flood my mind.