Chapter Twenty-Three

“Promise me you’ll be careful,” I murmur, staring up at Emery. He laughs lightly and gently touches my cheek.

“I’m only going to the police station with your parents. I can’t get any safer than that.” He gives a small smile and I stare down at my feet.

“I just don’t like being away from you,” I whisper, as he holds my hand. He swings it in the space between us.

“It will be fine,” he tells me, placing his lips softly on my forehead. My mother calls from the front door and Emery pulls back. “It’s time to go.” He starts putting on his shoes but I don’t let go of his hand. “Your mother said she would call when we’re on our way home, so no need to worry!” He kisses my lips for a moment and pulls away too soon. Grinning, he brushes his thumb across my cheek. “I love you, River Snow.”

My cheeks blush and I give a shy smile. “I love you too, Emery Hastings.”

Three Hours Later:

“Oh. My. Gosh.” Mary stares at me with her mouth hanging open and wide eyes. She smacks my arm as hard as she can, which frankly, isn’t that hard. “I can’t believe you two are a couple now!”

I roll my eyes as we sit on the living room couch, watching a movie. I knew she would freak out so I tried to bring it up as casually as I could. Since my parent’s and Emery left a few hours ago to go to the police station, Mary came over to keep me company while I’m home alone. Its growing dark and I still haven’t received a phone call to know that they’re on their way home.

“When did this happen?” I mumble the answer to Mary as quietly as possible and she gives me a scary look. “When, River!?”

“A few weeks ago,” I mutter and Mary smacks me across the top of my head.

“A few weeks!” Mary screams, jumping to her feet.

“Ow,” I mumble, rubbing my head.

“Why didn’t you call me immediately?” I shrug as Mary puts her hands on her hips. Her narrowed eyes glare down at me, trying to be intimidating.

“I didn’t think it was a big deal,” I mumble, however I was extremely overwhelmed when it happened. “Besides,” I tell her, grabbing her hand and pulling her back onto the couch. “I haven’t exactly gotten to see you lately.”

I give her a look and her cheeks turn pink. “It’s not my fault, I failed a test and my dad keeps making me study.”

“Well,” I laugh lightly, staring at the TV but not really seeing what’s playing. “You can’t get mad at me.” A few minutes go by without talking until Mary jumps to her feet excitedly. “Rimery!”

I scrunch my face in confusion. “What?”

“Rimery!” She shouts again, grinning widely. “It’s your couple name!”

I roll my eyes and cover my face with my palm. “You can’t be serious.”

Mary puts her hands on her hips and glares at me. “Don’t question me, River.”

I remove my hand and settle back into the couch. Mary sits beside me as she mumbles other possibilities of Emery and my names mashed together to create one. Eventually, she starts to watch the movie as we drift into silence.

Normally, I’m completely fine with being home alone, even at night. However a strange feeling creeps up my spine and settles in the pit of my stomach. I grow terrified, but not for me. No, I’m completely worried for Emery. I know he’s with my parents and the police, though it doesn’t stop me from getting worked up. I already almost lost Emery more than once. I can’t lose him again.