Chapter Fourteen

“River.” I can’t place the voice as I slowly drift away from sleep and into consciousness. “It’s time to wake up.” Someone shakes me by my shoulder and I grab Emery’s hand, pulling him into me with closed eyes. “Someone’s changed their mind,” he laughs not moving as he brushes my hair out of my face. “You still have to get up, though. Your mom went into town to get groceries while the sky is clear and told us to shovel before she left with Emery and your dad.”

My eyes instantly fly open and I come face to face with Vince. Cheeks turning pink, I avoid his eyes as I push away from him. I pull up the covers to my chin and realize I must look like a mess.

“Get out!” I yell, trying to finger brush my hair while Vince watches in amusement.

“I guess you didn’t change your mind, did you?” He asks with raised eyebrows, while I pull the comforter up to completely cover every inch of me, including my face.

“I was half asleep, so no! Just get out and I’ll be downstairs in a minute!” I snap, hating when anyone saw me in the morning. Vince laughs lightly and heads out of my room, shutting the door behind him. Sighing, I drop the blankets and look to the empty spot beside me where Emery was last night.

One Hour Later:

“This sucks,” mutters Vince, shovelling the walkway beside me. “I can’t believe your family doesn’t have a snow blower.”

I roll my eyes. He’s been complaining ever since we started, twenty minutes ago. No, we don’t have caller ID or a snow blower, because my dad wants to stay ‘old fashioned’ like when he was raised on this farm.

“Well we have a plough for my dad’s truck,” I tell him, moving my shovel under the two feet of snow and throwing it into a pile a few feet away. “However he took his truck and it won’t fit on mine.”

Vince groans and I bite my tongue to prevent myself from snapping at him. This is the Vince I’m used to. The one who complains to the point when you want to cut his tongue out of his mouth with a butter knife. Then he really would have something to complain about. If he could.

“Hey Vince,” I mumble, avoiding even seeing him out of the corner of my eye while I shovel. “Want to do me a huge favour?”

I hear him stop shovelling and I know I have to turn around. He’s looking at me, leaning his chin on the handle of the shovel that he holds onto in front of him. His eyebrows are raised and I know he’s telling me I’m in no position to be asking him favours.

“What is it?” He sighs, meeting my eyes.

I give him a hopeful smile and copy the way he’s leaning on his shovel. “Can you and Emery at least try to get along?”

Vince rolls his eyes and stops resting his head on the shovel and begins moving more snow. Obviously he doesn’t want to even give it a chance, so I drop my shovel and run in front of him to start beginning.

“Please,” I whine, trying to get him to look at me while he acts as if I’m not standing in front of him while he shovels, flailing my arms. “Who knows how long you two will have to deal with each other?” Vince shoots me a look and I rush my words. “Hopefully not long, but please, just try to get to know him. It’s not like he’s competition anyways.”

Vince exhales noisily as he raises his shovel full of snow. In one swift movement, he throws it at me. I cover my face as the cold snow hits my stomach and falls to the ground.

“What was that for?” I snap, brushing myself off before I can get wet.

“For lying,” he smirks.