1

I HAD THE SAME strange dream last night that I did most nights when I slept. It had always occurred to me, usually at least three times a month if I were to count it. Any other time I simply didn't dream at all. But this one dream my mind had made up-as far back as I could remember since my childhood-always played out exactly the same. Last night was the first time it changed.

It started out as it always did, with me walking through a forest. The ground was covered in fresh white snow meant to be up to my ankles at least, but somehow my bare feet never sank in it. It was almost as if the trees bowed to me as I went, their jagged branches frozen over with ice and the snow.

At the end of my path like normal was a sword that laid on a red, satin pillow adorned on a stone pedestal. Again I went to touch the sword--and again the cool iron it was made from burned my skin. I never understood why.

Next there was always a scream somewhere in the distance. I felt the urge to follow it as though I was meant to, like I understood why the screaming was happening and who it was coming from.

But that was just it. I never understood who or why, at least not when I woke up. In my dream I never reached the culprit of the horrifying wails of agony. Every time I was always about to open a door that I never realized how I'd gotten to it, and then it ended. Only this time something changed like it never had before, puzzling me to an agitating end.

I did touch the sword and I did hear the screams, but I didn't reach the door. Instead after I gazed over the burns on my hand, someone grabbed it and held it tightly. Their own hand was cold to the touch that soothed my injury.

I turned my gaze to meet the stranger, but instead of a clear picture of them their entire body appeared as nothing but a blur.

I could tell it was a man by the silhouette of his body and tall stance. I wanted to ask who he was and why he held my hand, but I couldn't get the words out fast enough.

"We have to go," he spoke with a voice of great urgency, confusing me.

I opened my mouth to ask him what he meant, but his blurred lips quickly kissed my knuckles and then I couldn't speak any words at all.

"I will protect you with every ounce of my life, My Queen. If I have to die I will pay that price for a thousand eternities, if it means keeping you safe. I want to keep you safe."

And just like that I woke up, the dream nothing but a memory fizzling away into the abyss of my right brain.

I didn't know how to explain it, but I always sensed that I knew what that place was. It seemed as if I was. . .destined to be there. Yet that sounded crazy in my mind, and I didn't understand how that would even be possible. And now there was the blurred man who also left me wondering. For some reason, it felt like I knew him too.

Just a strange dream.

"Eerika, are you up? It's time for breakfast!" I heard my mother call me from downstairs.

I peeked from under my mountain of covers to view the clock. Reading the time at 7:05 a.m. I groaned and hid myself away again.

Heading down to the kitchen after preparing myself for school, I sat down at the table and finished the braid in my long hair.

"Good morning sweetie! Did you sleep well?" my mother Linda chirped, laying a plate of syrupy pancakes in front of me.

"Fine," I replied with a small shrug, shying away from explaining the dream as I always did. I didn't think she'd understand if I ever told her. "Where's Dad?"

"He's getting the newspaper from the driveway like he does every morning," she laughed, placing the frying pan in the sink to soak.

"Here I ammm," my father sang as he entered, gently swatting me on top of the head with the rolled up paper. "Gooood morning, darling."