23

THE FOREST WAS QUIET as Calder and I passed through, the only sound being the crunching of the snow under the hoofs of our steeds. It felt like we truly weren't going anywhere, just around in circles, and my impatient nature got the better of me.

"It feels like we're just going around in circles," I said to Calder, "Every tree looks the same."

"Not every tree is going to have a distinct characteristic, Eerika," Calder replied. "They're trees."

"I know, but we're going so slow," I huffed. "I just want to get to the place where the sword is, as fast as we can, and get back to the palace."

"We can't cause any attention to ourselves. We have to make as little noise as possible. Any of my mother's men could be walking around or in hiding, not to mention the other creatures that inhabit both this forest and the dark woods of her territory."

"But the frost giants roam around at night. Sylvi's men stay out of the forest when they're awake."

"That was before you had arrived to this world. I know those men fled the day you arrived, but now that you have settled yourself here I'm sure Sylvi has ordered them on lookout at all times. She doesn't care if the frost giants kill them because she has plenty of traitors and can create even more iron knights," Calder informed.

"How did she accumulate enough faery traitors to create an army along with her knights?" I wondered. "There's only so many frost fey in the realm, and it's not like she has any fire fey at her disposal."

"She already had some gathered from the human world, all of the exiles who wanted to take down the crown as revenge for their banishment. But when your parents died many of their current subjects didn't like your uncle taking the ruling beneath himself," Calder said.

"They understood he wasn't replacing them, simply taking on the mantle until you returned. But many felt betrayed and scared that you would never come back, some that you would even survive amongst the ephemerals. So my mother gave the men an offer to join her in exchange for riches and power. The women who wanted to drop their allegiance as well became her maids, cooks, dress makers. But of course not all of those fey have come to see every light of day. I certainly wouldn't have such an opportunity had I not the strength I did to drag myself to the palace gates."

"Could I ever bring them back?" I questioned him. "The traitors, I mean. Could I ever change their minds to come back to our side?"

"There is no reasoning with those fey anymore, Eerika. I admire your heart to want to change theirs and save them, but some things can't be done when a cause is so far gone."

"Do you think this is a cause too far gone?" I asked, referring to the quest we were on.

Calder sighed, "I don't want to believe so. I just hope the seventeen years that have passed will not go against our favor. I'm trusting you on this."

I turned my gaze away from him and bit my lip, the image of the iron sword in the vision flashing through my memory.

"I'm trusting me too."

There was then a rustle through the bushes and a sound like footsteps approaching, making the horses give a slight jump.

"Go," Calder urged quietly, "Go through the opening of the frozen waterfall down the right of the path. It's a secret passage."

"What about you? What if it's one of the traitors?" I asked with hesitancy to leave.

"I'll be fine. I'm right behind you, just go!"

Nodding I pulled the horse's reigns to urge him in the direction of the right path, transitioning into a fast gallop. After a minute or two the icy waterfall came into sight, and sliding us both through the tight space I slipped off of the horse and waited. My heart raced in my chest in worry for Calder. I kept my breathing as soft as possible to listen for any sound.