27

"YOU WEREN'T MENTIONED ON the map

"YOU WEREN'T MENTIONED ON the map. I don't understand," I told the troll.

"He wouldn't uh mentioned me," the troll replied, "We trolls dunna get the recognition we deserve. I helped 'im get where he was goin'."

"Obviously not enough," Calder retorted, "You know how his journey ended."

"That not be my fault," he snapped, "All I gave 'im was what I knew, which I'm about ta pass onto ya if you'd let the lady listen."

"Eerika, we can't rely on a troll's words to tell us where to find the sword. We have to rely on your father's map," Calder said, aggravating the troll man further.

"I'd keep yur princey in line, If I was you. He's got a mouth. I'd left 'im ta the caps had he not been yur mate."

I felt a slight blush coat my cheeks. "Uh, w-what makes you think he's. . .that we're-"

"Dunna try ta hide yurselves frum me, Princess. I can smell yur emotions and I got two eyes ta see. Ya' may think us so, but we trolls aren't as stupid as ya filthy fey think we are. And why wouldn't the boy take a fancy ta ya' with how beautiful ya are."

His large hand came up and brushed my hair off my shoulder, causing Calder to intervene.

"Hey, that's enough," he gritted, shoving the troll's hand away and unsheathing his sword. "Look, we appreciate your daring rescue, but the princess and I must continue our journey. I don't want this to turn physical but I will do what I have to to protect her, so I suggest you leave."

"Calder, it's ok," I assured him, slightly annoyed he wouldn't let me talk for myself. I addressed the troll. "What's your name?"

"Halvard. Means 'guardian of the rock'," he replied. "We trolls guard the mountains of the north, if there were any of us left uh course."

"What do you mean?"

"I be the last one uh them, Princess. The frozen queen got rid of us a long time ago. Redcaps we can handle. But iron be even our weakness."

I felt a twinge of sadness hit my heart knowing yet another thing-another number of lives-Sylvi had destroyed. Then the twinge turned to anger and I looked back at Calder.

"How many more lives has she taken?" I asked him. "How many more will she take?"

"That's why I hope your instincts are right about this sword, Eerika," Calder said.

"I have the knowledge yur seekin', but if ya want it ya gotta trust me. If we talk out 'ere the whole forest'll be listenin', so we best be movin'," whispered Halvard as he cautiously glanced around.

"How do we know you won't trap us to devour me and keep the princess to be your maid and give you pleasure?" Calder catechized him. "I have obtained every ounce of knowledge on all of the creatures in this realm. I know your kind.