24

MORNING STRUCK A FEW hours after leaving the nixies' hideaway, giving light for Calder and I to fully see our surroundings. I kept my eyes on him as much as I could to take note of his behavior, which had changed since our steamy kiss. His face was stony and his muscles hitched just like when we first met, and I didn't like it. Was it something I did? Was it because of what happened in the heat of the moment when he lost control of his powers?

Calder hadn't said a word since then. He was in the position of the same brooding man he used to be, who would tell me nothing of what was going on. I cleared my throat and watched him straighten himself on his horse at the sound.

"How did you know of that place, and that it was good to hide in?" I asked. "You didn't have to stop and think a single moment when you told me where to go."

Calder took a moment to contemplate his answer just as he did before, and my irritation of it resurfaced.

"I used to go there when I'd run away from my mother as a child, and hide from her guards," he replied. "I only tried it twice because both times that I was returned to her she beat me for my defiance."

My chest tightened slightly as an image of young Calder bruised and bloody crossed my mind. I swallowed hard.

"You knew a lot about the nixies too, and the dwarf. How much were you taught on all of this realm's creatures? No one, not even the Clan has informed me on any that there are. Creatures or not, they're my subjects too."

"My mother provided me a field guide my father had constructed on all of the creatures. It labeled drawings of them and their habitats, abilities, and what they eat. He was always fascinated with them from what little I can remember of him. But when she gave it to me I was told to use it as a weapon at my disposal. A lot of the pages she used as instructions on how to kill or control them, whichever she could get by with. Some of the creatures have become extinct by her hand just like the fey, apart from what she's made me kill."

It gave me a slight anger at the fact that not only had Sylvi destroyed my people, but that she murdered innocent creatures too. How many casualties had their truly been the years I was away? How many more were going to be spent if Calder and I couldn't find the sword?

I didn't want to imagine. I quickly changed the subject because I knew what was really weighing on me that I had to address to Calder.

"What. . .was all of that back there?" I asked, looking ahead of me to maneuver my horse around a fallen tree.

"What?" Calder replied, but it sounded off, almost surprised. I mentally groaned and turned my gaze to him.

"Calder, you've been quiet since we left the hideaway. I don't want to go back to tha-"

I stopped when I noticed Calder staring off into the distance, the look on his face now alarmed. I followed his eyes to see a shape, but I couldn't make out what it was.

"What is it? Another creature?"

"Not exactly," Calder spoke gravely.

A throaty growl ripped through the being's chest, stalking towards us with clangs echoing across the way. It sounded just as the iron knights did when they moved and it made my gut lurch. As it came close enough to make out what it was I gasped, covering my mouth. The horses reared with neighs of alarm.

"It's an iron wolf," Calder spoke in disbelief.

Before I could even ask how that was possible the beast charged. There didn't seem to be any time to react as Calder's voice rang in my ears.

"Go!"

The wolf howled like a beacon call, spooking my horse once more and throwing me off. I screamed as I fell and hit my back hard against the snowy ground.