8

MY EYES SLOWLY FLUTTERED open to darkness, and when they adjusted I realized I was back in my bedroom chamber. Still slightly foggy from my loss of consciousness it took me a moment to remember what had happened, but was confused as to how I ended up here. My hair now undone from my braid was damp from the water I was in, but had been changed into a dry white gown.

I could hear a murmur of voices outside my cracked door, and wondered who it could be. I had a feeling that what happened to me had spread all around the palace, and that was the topic of discussion. I slowly crept out of my bed to sneak a look.

"You were very out of line, do you understand that? What exactly do you have to say for yourself regarding your actions?" I watched my Chamberlain say to someone through the crack who I didn't have a visual of. I maneuvered myself to try and see.

"That was not the way to go about this situation, Gulbrand," Calder defended harshly. "She's been through enough already."

I realized then that they were talking about me, and tried to bring my full attention to listening. I focused intently on Calder who's hair was also still wet, but he too had changed into new clothes and out of his uniform.

A white button up shirt hugged his frame with his sleeves rolled up at the elbows, and the collar messily ruffled and rinkled. The first few buttons were undone and revealing his bare chest, which showed he had either been in a rush to get here or he simply didn't care. Either way I couldn't stop myself from staring before reminding myself to stay focused.

"It had to be done, Calder," Gulbrand replied, "The princess needed to know of what happened those seventeen years ago that brought her to the ephemeral world, and why she is here now."

"She could have just been told," Calder retorted, "She has already watched the people who she thought were her parents be murdered right before her eyes. And the Clan just forced her do it once more with her true mother and father, as well as her sisters."

"I wouldn't speak out against the Clan's judgements, Mr. Hansen. You know they aren't taken too highly to contraventions. And Eerika was not forced. It was she who chose to partake in the matter."

"All I am offering is that the princess be given time to rest and recover both physical and in mind," Calder said, and to my surprise his voice sounded like he might have actually cared for my well-being. I took in the features on his face, his brows furrowed together and his eyes showing a slight worry in them.

"She's already suffered a wound by the iron knights, and pushing her conscious into the visions of the past could have killed her had I not gotten her into the water and pulled her out of them. The princess needs the time to process what has happened, as well as figure out the controlling of her powers."

"Do you think the frozen queen will wait for Eerika to heal and learn her magic? She sent those knights to kill her in the first place, Calder. She will stop at nothing to finish what she began all those years ago. The princess is once more her target, and I fear a war is soon coming that we must prepare for."

I felt my stomach knot at the words, and then there was a moment of silence between the two men before Calder spoke again.

"I request to transfer my obligations of the guard and its captaincy to solely protecting the princess."

I covered my mouth to hold in my surprised gasp.

"And may I ask why you have suddenly made this descision? You didn't seem very pleased to fetch Miss Arnesen when you were assigned so," Gulbrand catechized suspiciously. "What's different about those feelings now?"

"This isn't what you're thinking," Calder shoved off whatever Gulbrand was implying, "The princess is in danger, and you know damn well that I'm the most qualified to protect her."