20

IN THE NEXT COUPLE of days Eeira discussed with Gulbrand and the Clan of what to do with me and the crowning situation. Gulbrand obviously wasn't very pleased with my stubbornness, and fought back and forth with the Clan.

Finally when a decision was made the Clan requested my presence down in the bottom wing. I was nervous to say the least, in mental agony of not knowing what or if they decided. I had to keep the crowning postponed as long as I could, to keep the future seen from the vision away. If I didn't become queen, then there was no way those events could come to pass. . .At least I hoped.

Calder walked me down to the wing in his regular clothes and cloak, while I donned a blue wrapped dress with an open slit in the back. He brought me to the door, my nerves sloshing around in my stomach. Since we were alone he grabbed my hand to reassure me.

"Don't be nervous. Everything will be fine. Just listen to what they have to say."

I bit my lip and gave a hesitant nod. Calder brought my hand up to his lips to place a kiss on my skin.

"I'll be right outside the door."

"Okay," I breathed out, turning the knob and slowly stepping inside.

There on the same end of the room as the last time, I saw the Clan standing like stone. I swallowed down the lump stuck in my throat and glanced over at Eeira who smiled at me, and Gulbrand who's face was in a usual scowl at my presence.

I faced the Clan who stepped towards me. The head man who addressed me before spoke up.

"Hello, Princess. You have created quite the conflict recently."

"I don't see it as conflict," I retorted. "I am the princess and daughter of Asger Arnesen. I have rights to my own descisions."

"You are a child. You are not at the liberty to decide on such a matter that affects us all," one of the men from the back said.

"I'm almost eighteen. That clarifies me as an adult, which I don't think is any different here than it is in the human world. And you were planning to crown me anyway, where I would have to make the descisions of a queen."

"It has been decided to forego the ceremony until further action with the frozen queen has been taken," the woman of the Clan informed, and I was taken back.

"What? I thought I had to become queen so I could lead my knights in battle to defeat her?"

"If the word gets out to the kingdom of your coronation it will surely reach Sylvi and her army. That would give her full motive to attack and it must be avoided at all costs."

"We could find ways around this," Gulbrand defended. "Without a ruler we have nothing to combat the frozen queen. Word of this does not have to leave the palace."

"Can we take such a chance, Chamberlain?" the leader asked. "Sylvi has ears all over this realm. Her knights and her traitors are all a risk to our secrets. Until the knowledge of how to take her down is under our grasp, the throne will remain untenanted."

"This is absurd! Asger never would have stood for this," Gulbrand sneered. "This kingdom has been in wreckage since the day the frozen queen murdered all of the royal family but one. And now that girl is here, who has been here long enough already. She needs to stop thinking of herself and focus on her people!"

"This is not about me!" I spat back at him, wishing he was close enough that I could give him another frost burn on his face.

If only he knew I was doing this to keep my people and Calder alive.

"Enough!" the Clan all boomed in unison. I jerked my attention away from Gulbrand's glare back to them.

"Chamberlain, our decision is made," the leader countered. "I suggest you comply with it willingly. Now leave this chamber at once."