11

WITH NOTHING TO ACTUALLY do for the day, I found myself wandering in boredom through every corridor in the palace that I was allowed to go, and had done so four or five times already. I wasn't allowed to set foot in the bottom floor corridor where I had been yesterday when I went to see the Clan, and that made me curious. If the knight who's name I learned was Verick would quit being right on my tail, I knew I could sneak my way down there to see what I could find. . .

I passed by several walls filled with paintings, many of them my parents and sisters, as well as past relatives and ancestors. Each one that I saw of Mother and Father and the girls, I couldn't help but to stare at them as if they were doing the same back at me. I read the names of my sisters and saw just how much we all resembled one another, feeling a pain in my chest.

Eydis was the oldest. I resembled her the most, sharing the same nose and chin as we did with our mother. Then there was Edrie, Eerian, Elda, Eris, and the youngest before me, Eedie.

I had my father's smile. In most portrait paintings I'd seen in history or in movies you weren't supposed to smile, but he did. His face was so full of life, his stance proud, and I wondered just how it would have been if he was here with me now. Would he be proud of me? I hadn't done anything yet that would have made him so.

Gazing over the pictures, the discussion between Eeira and I resurfaced in my brain. How she said my destiny--what was prophesied--was that I would kill the queen to free the realm of her darkness. I still didn't understand what that meant, nor did I want to. I didn't see how something could be foretold eight months before I was born of what I was supposed to do seventeen years later. But I knew one thing. They wanted to make me more of a murderer than I already was. And that was something I didn't know how to fathom.

Feeling Verick's wandering eyes finally drive me to the point of insanity I decided to devise a plan. I had noticed during a glance when getting a glass of water earlier that there was a small chamber door on the far end of the kitchen, next to the furnace. I figured I could tell Verick I was getting some food and have him wait at the dining hall entrance so I could make my escape. I just had to make sure Eeira or Calder wouldn't catch me. . .

I let my plan run through my head as I stood frozen in place and caused slight confusion from Verick. He touched my hand in a flirty way that brought me out of my thoughts, and I jerked back from him slightly. His eyes searched me, a small smirk evident on his pearly face that creeped me out on all levels.

"What are you thinking about, Princess?" his smooth voice asked me. What I really wanted to say was that I wished I could pluck out his eyes and make him eat them, and cut off his hands if he ever touched me again.

"I'm hungry. Can you take me to the kitchen?"

Verick smiled once more and gestured out his arm. "Lead the way."

Throwing him doughy eyes I started in the direction of the dining hall with he following in tow.

When we reached the kitchen entrance I abruptly stopped which startled Verick. I turned to him with as bright a fake smile as I could put off.

"I'll be just a minute. I want to request something for lunch from the cook. Will you wait on me here?"

I batted my long lashes and I could tell I was challenging his judgment, but he nodded.

"I shall stand my place until you return, Princess."

Throwing another smile I then turned back around and slipped through the doorway. The kitchen was crowded with staff, perfect to keep me from being noticed as I escaped. I was almost sure the door I saw either led to one of the corridors, but it also could've been just a pantry where the unprepared food was kept. If that were the case then I was stuck.

Taking my chances I glided through the staff like a ghost never being noticed, and when I reached the door I quietly tugged on the handle to open it.

Locked. Dammit.

"Brynhild, is the lunch for the princess prepared yet? She'll be having it in her chamber today," I then heard Eeira call from the hallway, and I started to panic. If she found me my plan was surely shot down.

Taking a deep breath I turned to the door once more, and focused on the handle. If I could use my powers this once more, but in control, I was nearly sure I could freeze the lock and pry the door open. But if I did this there was also the chance that I'd freeze everyone in the room. . .

I squeezed my eyelids together. I had to move quickly. I had no other options, and this was my only moment to take the chance.

The clicking of Eeira's heeled boots matched the rapid beating of my heart as I coaxed my hand over the door handle. A layer of ice and frost spread over it, and I nearly squealed before covering my mouth.

I just actually did that.

Grasping the handle I gave it a hard yank following a popping sound to come from it, and I smiled triumphantly. I pulled the door open and quickly slipped through just as Eeira entered the kitchen.

I let a breath of relief escape me as I slowly backed away from the door and turned to get a feel of my surroundings. The room was dark, no candlelight or fire present. The large windows were covered with deep red curtains, and if I looked close enough there appeared to be icy cobwebs splayed upon them. What I assumed to call an ice-spider dangled from one of the strands of a web, and I shuddered.

Walking across the room I squinted in the dark, and found an archway around the corner. My curiosity led me to it and I was brought to another series of corridors, most of which I didn't recognize. But seeing the unlit torches on the wall that were very familiar, I realized where I was.

I was in the bottom wing.

I didn't understand how this was possible. For one I didn't even know there were any chamber passages apart from the one I traveled through to meet the Clan. I didn't know what to make of it, a secret passage or an escape route, but either way I was sparked with curiosity.

What I really wanted to know was why this part of the castle had been abandoned, and for how long. As told it wasn't a place I was allowed to go, nor where anyone liked to, and that drove my suspicion deep. Obviously the people around this castle knew of what I didn't about this area, and weren't planning on sharing. But just maybe if I did some digging around I could discover more about the past I was being deprived of.

Turning down another corner I approached a hallway with a set of two large doors at the end, and a sudden unaccountable feeling washed over me. There was a sign above them that was in Norse language which I couldn't read, but walked towards it to get a better look.

As my eyes just began to get close enough to see the dust agaisnt the wooden letters I heard what sounded like several footsteps approach me from behind. Startled at what could have been there I jerked around, letting a small gasp escape me. I was now face to face with Gulbrand, who gave me a tenebrous smile.

"And what have I found? Someone who likes to flout their directives I see," he said. "Well since I've come across you at a free time, I believe we can have a little chat. Shall we?"

I eyed the man warily as his glassy blue ones pierced mine, and a feeling of premonition pitted my stomach.