15

AFTER LUNCH THE TRAINING was indeed continued, and focusing on what Calder told me to I was actually getting pretty good. Though there was also a part of me practically dying to ask him about the situation with he and Gulbrand. But I also remembered when I mentioned how he saved him all those years ago and Calder shut me down. I just wanted to know what was going on, even if I had only been here a few days and it may have been none of my business.

As I sat down to take a rest after freezing over the entire archway, both Calder and I receiving a spat from Eeira about ruining the garden ambiance. I decided that I needed to question him, only hoping I would receive the answers.

"So, what was that all about back there? As soon as you saw Gulbrand you kind of just. . .bolted."

Calder was hesitant as usual with his reply. "I went to speak with him."

"About what? Was it what you were going to talk to him about yesterday when you came to his study?"

"It isn't of anyone's concern but my own, Eerika. Leave it at that."

I should've known I wouldn't get anywhere with him, I grumbled in my head.

"Why?" I questioned him, throwing up my hands.

"Why what?"

"Why do I have to leave it at that? Why can't I ask about any of this stuff?"

"Because it's none of your business," he told me, but that wasn't good enough.

"I'm the princess, I think it's my business just as much as yours and Gulbrand's."

"Some secrets are not meant to be shared and you must respect that," he spoke firmly. He turned his back to me as he began retracting the ice from the archway.

"What secrets?" I asked, "What are you hiding from me? Are you hiding things from everyone here besides Gulbrand?"

"Eerika. . ." Calder warned, his back muscles coiling as his shoulders beginning to heave.

I paid no mind to it and continued to let myself get heated. I was tired of being so shut out when I deserved to know what was going on behind the palace doors.

"Calder, just talk to me. Let me in! I want to get to know you, but all you do is keep these walls up that I can't get past. It's driving me crazy! I can't stay in the dark anymore. I have to know. I don't get why you won't just tell me!"

"I can't!" Calder then shouted, and suddenly the frozen water sculpted in the fountain shattered like an explosion. Luckily we were both far enough away from it that we didn't get cut.

"Dammit," Calder cursed under his breath, walking over to the fountain to pick up the ice pieces.

The whole loss of control during his outburst reminded me of when he'd bickered with me on the way to the palace and how the patch of ice formed. I truly realized now one of his faults besides his attitude was that he lost control in anger.

I stood up and went over to help him but he quickly shoved me off.

"I've got it," he spoke harshly to me, refusing to look at my face.

Feeling superfluous there now I decided to let him be and take my leave. But as I turned to head for the door back inside, I stopped to give him one last thought from my mind.

"You know what, Calder? I don't think it's true. It's not that you can't tell me what's going on. You don't want to."

I walked away and left him there, hearing him call my name but I didn't bother turning back. I needed some space but I also needed air, so I found myself running out of the garden gate instead to whatever place I could find.