30

CALDER AND I DIDN'T stop but once to rest on our way back to the palace. I didn't want to waste anymore time letting Sylvi live and roam free in my realm. I was cold and worn out beyond any comprehension. I could tell Calder and the horses were too, but he and I both knew no more time could be spared. Too much had been already.

All I really wanted was a fire going in my chamber and to be under my covers with Calder beside me, no one disturbing us at all. However much I wanted that though I knew it couldn't surpass all that would have to be done once we reached home. There wouldn't be any time to rest. All focus had to be on the strategy of killing Sylvi.

Because there were limited stops and the fast pace we pushed our horses Calder and I were able to reach the palace in two days instead of three. I felt a small chunk of the heavy weight on my shoulders lift as we approached the bridge.

"Are you ready for what everyone has in store for us? I have a feeling it won't be pleasant," Calder said.

"Might as well be," I sighed, "We can't avoid it. We've been gone for almost a week, they probably think we're both dead."

"They should be happy we aren't then. Perhaps it will soften the blow. Come on."

Going down the bridge and through the gates we proceeded in taking the horses back to the barn. As we came upon it though I noticed the horses in a slight frenzy, jumping restlessly in their stalls and neighing.

"Why are they worked up? It's so quiet out here," I asked Calder who was just as confused.

"I don't know," he replied, "but I have an uneasy feeling."

We put our steeds back in their stalls, mine trying to jump away from me and bucking his head while Calder's struggled with him.

"Whoa, boy, easy," I cooed to him, "What's gotten into all of you?"

Then there was suddenly a female scream that echoed from outside the barn, making my own body jump. My heart fell into my stomach as I looked at Calder who's face turned to stone. He unsheathed his sword and ran out into the snow to see what was happening. Feeling frantic I went to grab the iron sword from Calder's satchel, but the towel slipped from the hilt and touched my palm.

I exclaimed in pain and threw the sword to the ground, a deep burn settling into my skin. I dropped to my knees as I gritted my teeth and tears swelled in my eyes, but I quickly pushed them back. Standing once more I neglected the wound and tried to think of a plan. I frantically searched around the barn before my eyes settled on the first aid kit on the wall. I ran over to it and threw open the box.

Grabbing a roll of gauze I used the towel to hold the sword and wrap it around the hilt. Once it was secured with no iron able to peek through I ran after Calder, carrying it heavily in my good hand.

"Calder? Calder!" I called his name until I reached the gardens and found him there. His sword was lowered with a hand stretched out to man. The faery was donned in armor that I recognized as what Sylvi's men wore, but with a helmet nearly masking his face. Blood was stained on his hands as he held a silver knife to Astrid's throat while she struggled in his grip.

"Princess," she begged fearfully for me to help her, but all I could bring myself to do was stand there as tears rolled down my face.

"Don't do this," Calder spoke firmly to him, "She is nothing to you or the frozen queen. Let her go. You don't have to follow her orders. You don't have to support her cause. Anything she has promised you is a lie."

I watched the man hesitate for a single moment, internal struggle flashing behind his eyes before it was gone.

"Long live the true queen," he snarled, slashing the knife across Astrid's throat and letting her fall to the ground.