A Prince and a Witch (1)

I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh nor Beastly.

    I could feel everyone staring at me, but I was used to it.
    One thing my Otou-sama taught me early and often was to act like nothing moved me. When you're 'special', like 'we' were, people tend to notice you.
    It was the last month before the end of ninth grade. The substitute teacher was giving out ballots for spring dance court, something I'd normally have thought was lame.
    "Hey, Atem, your name's on this." My friend Marik Kimura flicked my arm.
    "No duh." When I turned Marik's way, the girls next to him- Anna, or maybe Hannah- liked down. Huh. She'd been staring at me.
    I examined the ballot. Not only was my name, Atem Sennen, there for ninth-grade prince, but I was the sure winner. No one could compete with my looks and my Otou-sama's money.
    The sub was a new one who might still have been under the mistaken impression that because Domino Academy was the type of school that had a salad bar in the cafeteria and offered courses in Mandarin Chinese—i.e., a school where the serious money people in Domino sent their kids—we weren't going to burst on him like public school dregs. Big mistake. It wasn't like anything the sub said was going to be on an exam, so we were trying to figure out how to make reading the ballot and scratching in our choices take the entire fifty-minute period. At least most of us were. The rest were texting each other. I watched the ones who are filling out their ballots glancing over at me. I smiled. Someone else might have looked down, trying to act all shy and modest, like they were a ashamed of having their name there-but it doesn't make sense to deny the obvious.

    "My name's there too." Marik flicked my arm again.
    "Hey watch it!" I rubbed my arm.
    "Watch it yourself. You've got this stupid grin on your face like you already won, and now you're giving the paparazzi a chance to snap your picture."
    "And what's wrong with that?" I grinned wider, to bug him, and gave a little wave like people in parades. Someone's camera phone snapped at just that moment, like an exclamation point.
    "You shouldn't be allowed to live," Marik said.
    "Why, thank you." I thought about voting for Marik, just to be nice. Marik was good for comic relief, but not too gifted in the looks department. His family was nobody special either—his Tou-san was a doctor something. They might post the votes totals in the school newspaper and it'd be pretty embarrassing for Marik if he came in last or even didn't get any votes at all.
    On the other hand it would be cool if I got two or three times the votes the next-closest person. And besides Marik worshipped me. A real friend would want me to win big. That's another thing my Otou-sama always said: "Don't be a sucker Atem, and do things out of kindness or love. Because what you always end up finding out is that the only one who really loves you is you."
I was seven or eight when he first said that, and I asked, "What about me, Otou-sama?"
    "What?"
    "You love . . ." Me. "Us. Your family."
    He gave me a long look before saying, "That's different, Atem."
    I never asked him again if he loved me. I knew he'd told the truth the first time.
    I folded my ballot over, to keep Marik from seeing I'd voted for myself. Of course, I knew he voted for himself too, but that was different.
    That's when a voice came from the back of the room.
    "This is disgusting!"
    We all turned.
    "Maybe someone left a booger under her desk," Marik whispered.
    "Was it you?" I said.
    "I don't do that anymore."
    "Disgusting," the voice repeated. I stopped talking to Marik and looked at where the voice was coming from, this Goth freak sitting in the back. She was a fat chick, dressed in the kind of flowing black clothes you usually only see in witches or terrorists (we don't have uniforms in Domino Academy; it would piss off the parents not to be able to buy Dolce & Gabbana) and her hair was a brown rat's nest. Obviously a cry for help. Weird thing was, I never noticed her before. Most people here I known my whole life.
    The sub was too stupid to ignore her."What's disgusting, Miss . . . Miss . . ."
    "Mazaki," she said. "Anzu Mazaki."
    "Anzu-san, is there something wrong with your desk?"
    "There is something wrong with this world." She stood like she was making a speech. "Something very wrong when it's the twenty-first century and this type of elitist travesty is still being perpetrated." She held up her ballot. People giggled.
    "It's a ninth-grade dance ballot," Marik volunteered. "To choose the royalty."
    "Exactly," the girl said." Who are these people? Why should they be treated as royalty? Based upon . . . what? The people on this ballot were chosen on one basis only-physical beauty."
    "Sounds like a good basis to me," I said to Marik, not to softly. "That's BS. Everyone voted, and this is who they chose. It's a democratic process."
    Around me there were some thumbs-up, some Yeah, mans, particularly from Anna or Hannah. But I noticed that a lot of people, mostly the ugly people, were silent.
    The girl took a few steps towards me. "They're sheep, following the herd. They vote for the so-called popular people because it's simple. Surface beauty: tri-color black, blonde and crimson hair, crimson eyes"-she was looking at me- "is always easy to recognize. But if someone is braver, smarter, that's harder to see."
     She pissed me off, so I jumped on her. "If someone's so smart, they'd figure out how to get better-looking. You could lose weight, get plastic surgery,even get your face scraped and your teeth bleached." I emphasized the you in the sentence, so she'd know I meant her and not just some general sort out you. "My Otou-sama owns a gaming company. He says people shouldn't have to look at ugly people."
    "Is that what you think?" She raised a dark eyebrow. "That we should all transform ourselves to be as you want us to be, Atem Sennen?"
    I started at my name. I was sure I'd never seen her before. But of course she knew me. Everyone did. Probably had a pathetic crush on me.
    "Yeah," I said. "Yeah. That's what I think. That's what I know."
    She walked towards me. Her eyes were light blue and her nose was small, almost button like. "Then you'd better hope you never get ugly, Atem. You are ugly now, on the inside, where it matters most, and if you ever lost your good looks, I bet you wouldn't be smart or strong enough to get them back. Atem Sennen, you are beastly."
    Beastly. The word was from another time and place. It made more think of fairy tails, and I felt this weird tingling, like the hairs inn my asthma had caught fire from her eyes. I brushed it off.

As you can see I made Atem into Kyle Kingsbury and Anzu I to Kendra Hilferty. I know that's not how Anzu looks but you will understand if you read the book, oh and it will be a mix of both the book and the movie so yeah

Ja Ne