A Prince and a Witch (5)

I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh or Beastly

The day of the dance, I got into the tuxedo Mai, the maid, rented for me with Tou-sama's credit card. One great thing about having a Tou-san who's never around is they buy you stuff because it's easier than arguing. Bakura's parents, for example were total cheapskate- which is one of the reasons he steals. They 'worry' about 'spoiling' him or something- ha the evil bunny steals for a hobby, I think you failed miserably.
I checked the refrigerator for the corsage Mai was supposed to pick up from that florist. Vivian had told new about fifteen or sixteen times that her dress was 'black, very hot' and that I wouldn't be sorry if I got her an orchid corsage. So, of course I told Mai to buy it, I truly couldn't care less.
"You ever think that school dances are a form of legal prostitution?" I said to Bakura on the phone.
He laughed. "Many see it as that, myself included, so yes."
I looked in the refrigerator for the corsage. "Where the-"
"What's the matter, pharaoh?"
"Nothin. I gotta go"
I plumbed the depths of the refrigerator, but there wasn't a sign of the flower I needed.
"Mai!" I yelled. "Where the hell's the orchid corsage you were supposed to get? What's up with the rose?" I was pretty sure roses were way cheaper than orchids. "Mai!"
No answer.
I finally found her in the laundry room, slopping detergent on the collar of one of Tou-sama's shirts. Pretty cushy job if you ask me. Tou-san works 24/7 and didn't mess the place up. I was mostly at school or, if not, I stayed as far away from home as possible. So basically, she got a salary and free use of our apartment, and all she had to do was laundry and vacuuming and watching soap operas and fan her butt all day.
That and running a few simple errands, which she obviously couldn't even do right.
"What's this?" I said shoving the plastic corsage box under her nose. Actually, that wasn't exactly what I said. I added a few swear words that she probably didn't even understand.
She stepped back from my hand. Her blonde locks falling back into place as she rose up and looked at the flower. "Beautiful, isn't it?"
"Beautiful? It's a rose. I said an orchid. Or-chid. Are you a complete baka that you don't know what an orchid is?"
She didn't even react to baka, which just showed how much of a baka she was. She'd only been there a few weeks, but she was even dumber than the last housekeeper, who got canned for putting her cheap Wal-Mart t-shirt in with our laundry. Mai didn't stop folding laundry, but stared at the pure white rose, like if she was sleepwalking.
"I know what an orchid is, Mr. Atem. A proud vain flower. But can you not see the beauty of this rose?"
I looked at it. It was pure white and almost seemed to be growing before my eyes. I glanced away. When I looked again, all I could see was Vivian throwing a bitch fit when I showed up with the wrong flower. Oh man, I can feel the headache coming, and it was all because of Mai. Stupid rose, stupid Mai.
"Roses are cheap," I said, crimson crashing on violet.
"A beautiful thing is precious, no matter the price. Those who do not know how to see the precious things in life will never be happy. I wish you to be happy, Mr. Atem."
Yeah, and the best things in life are free, right? But what would you expect from someone who makes a living washing other people's Jockey shorts?
"I think it's ugly," I said, crossing my arms as I glared at her.
She puts down the laundry she was holding and, quickly as can be, snatched the rose away. "Give it to me, then."
"Are you on crack?" I knocked the box from her hands. It bounced to the floor. "That's probably how you planned it, huh? Get the wrong thing so I didn't want it, and I'll give it to you. I don't think so."
She looked at the rose lying on the floor. "I pity you Mr. Atem."
"Pity me?" I laughed. "How can you pity more? You're the maid."
She didn't answer, just reached for another of Tou-san's shirts, like she got off doing laundry.
I laughed again. "You should be scared of me. You should be pissing in your pants. If I tell my tou-san you wasted his money like that, he'll fire you. He'll probably have you deported. You should be so frightened of me."
She kept folding laundry. She probably didn't even understand Japanese enough to get what I was saying. I gave up. I didn't want to take the rose corsage because that would be admitting I was going to give it to Vivian. But what choice did I have? I picked it up from where it had bounced in the corner. The plastic box was broken, and the corsage was on the floor, a petal knocked off. Cheap junk. I stuck the loose petal into my pants pocket and put the rest of the corsage back into the box best I could. I started to walk away.
That's when Mai said- in perfect Japanese, by the way- "I'm not frightened of you, Atem. I am frightened for you."
A chill went down my back, the same one that I felt when Anzu told me I was a beast. I felt dread fill my veins. I closed my eyes and turned away from Mai.
"Whatever."

Mai is Magda, Yuugi will show up in the next chapter. Atem is more aware of danger than Kyle in beastly. Yuugi will be more like Belle than Lindy. Hope you understand that, oh and the spell is coming soon

Ja Ne

~Sagariolily