Happily Ever After (2)

And the second wishes are fulfilled. I don't own Beastly or Yu-Gi-Oh.

It was hours before we returned home, but when we did, Aknamkanon was there, watching CBS Morning News. The slide behind the reporter said, beast in the subway?, and showed a wolf-like creature. Aknamkanon's tie was off. He looked rumpled.

"You know anything about this, Atem?" He gestured toward the television set, not seeming to notice the change in me. "Why would I?" I shrugged. "Obviously, I'm not a beast." He looked up then. "No, you're not, are you? When did that happen?"
He meant did it happen before or after the news story. I didn't answer his question. "Tou-san, this is Yuugi."

"Nice to meet you, Yuugi." He gave him his best businessman smile, at once managing to take in his Duel Monsters T-shirt, old sneakers, and off-brand jeans while completely missing his face. Typical. Would it have killed him to make eye contact with him? "Well, this calls for a celebration. Shall I take you out for breakfast?"

Also typical. Now that I was normal, he was all about spending time with me. I glanced at Yuugi. He wrinkled his nose in disdain.

"I don't think so," I said. "I have to go talk to Ryou and Mai since they've been with me the whole time. And then I'm gonna crash. I've been out all night." I enjoyed the look on his face when I said that.

"But hey, we'll have to do it real soon." Like, in a year or so.
After he left, I went up to find Ryou.

It was barely five, so of course Ryou was asleep when I knocked on the door. I knocked louder.
"Yami, maybe this should wait until later. He's asleep." Yuugi leaned toward me. "And I can think of other ways to kill time. I missed you so much."

"Me too." I kissed him. I thought of the winter. I'd been as dead as one of my roses, but I hadn't wanted to admit it to myself. "But I need to talk to Ryou right now. It's important. I think you'll see why. I know he will."

I knocked harder. "Open up, sleepyhead."

From inside the door came a muffled voice. "Time's it?"

"Time to see the light. Open up!"

"I'll sic Pilot on you."

"He's a helper dog, not a watchdog. Open the door."

At first, there was no other sound, and I thought he had gone back to sleep. Then, just as I was ready to bang on the door again, I heard footsteps. The door opened.

I watched as the light hit Ryou's eyes.

"What the—" He looked left, then right, his eyes focusing on me like they never had before. "But how…who are you?"

"It's me, Yami. And this is Yuugi. Can you see us, bud?"

"H-hai. At least I think I can. But maybe it's all a dream. You led me to believe you were hideous, a monster."

"And you led me to believe you were blind. Things change sometimes."

Now Ryou was laughing, dancing around the room. "Hai! Things change! I can't believe it. And Yuugi-kun? Is this you? Have you come back to Yami, then?"

"Hai. I still don't understand it, completely, but I'm happy. So happy." He hugged Ryou, and Pilot, who was usually well behaved, seemed to realize that his services as guide dog weren't needed because he jumped up and down, barking and licking everyone's hands. So Yuugi hugged him too.

When we finished jumping around, celebrating, I said, "Where's Mai?"

If Anzu was true to her word, something should have happened to Mai too. She should have been reunited with her family. But now I didn't want her gone. I needed Mai, wanted her to stay. I ran down the hallway to Mai's room, Yuugi following me. I pounded on the door. There was no answer.

When I opened the door, the room was empty.

"No!" I practically crushed Yuugi's hand in my grip. He gave me a weird look, and I remembered what a great day it was, what a perfect day. Still, I said, "I didn't get to say good-bye. She left without saying good-bye."

"Mai-senpai?" When I nodded, Yuugi said, "Oh, Yami, gomen nasai."

I started to leave the room. But suddenly I caught a glow from something on the bed. I walked toward it.

It was a silver mirror, just like the one I'd smashed the night before on the subway. But this mirror was not smashed, and looking into it, I saw my reflection, perfect as I remembered—spiky lightning blond bangs, obsidian locks with scarlet tips, ruby eyes, even a tan. When I opened my mouth, perfect lips moved over white teeth. And at my side was the perfect boy, the perfect boy for me.

I said, "I want to see Mai."
At once, Anzu's reflection appeared.

Don't worry Mai is fine, she will be back.

Ja Ne

Sagario