The Beast (5)

Sometimes, when you’re walking in Domino—probably anywhere, but especially in Domino, the gaming city of the world, because it’s so crowded—you see these people, like guys in wheelchairs with stumps of legs just reaching the edge, or people with burns on their faces. Maybe their legs got blown off in a war, or someone threw acid at them. I never really thought about them. If I thought about them at all, what I thought was how to get past without them touching me. They grossed me out. But now I thought about them all the time, how one minute you can be normal—beautiful, even—and then something can happen the next minute that changes it. You can be damaged beyond repair. A freak. I was a freak, and if I had fifty, sixty, seventy years left, I’d spend them as a freak because of that one minute when Anzu put the spell on me after what I did.
    Funny thing about that mirror. Once I looked in it, I got obsessed. First, I looked at each of my friends (former friends, as Anzu so gladly mentioned), catching them in weird moments—getting ragged on by parents, picking their noses, naked, or just generally not thinking about me. I watched Vivian, Marik and Bakura too. Vivan and Honda were together, yeah, but Vivian had another boyfriend, a guy who didn’t go to Domino Academy. I wondered if she’d cheated on me too.
    Then I started watching other people. The apartment was empty those long August weeks. Mai made my meals and left them for me, but I only came out if I heard her vacuuming in a different part of the house, or if she went out. I remembered her saying she was frightened for me. Probably, she thought I’d gotten what I deserved. I didn't hate her for thinking that I do deserve it.
    I started this thing where I’d take out my yearbook and choose a page, then point to some random person—usually some loser I wouldn’t have bothered with when I was at the school. I’d read their name, then look in the index to see what activities they did. I thought I’d known everyone at that school. But now I saw that I hadn’t known many of them. Now I knew all their names.
    The game I played was I chose a person then tried to decide where they’d be in the mirror. Sometimes it was easy. Technogeeks were always by the computer. Jocks were mostly outside, running around.
    Sunday morning, the picture I chose was Yuugi Mutou. He looked familiar, and not just because of the hair. Then I realized it was the boy from the dance, the one I’d given the rose to who’d gotten so jacked up about it, the one who’d gotten me my second chance. I’d never noticed him at school before that day. Now I looked at his yearbook pages, which were like a résumé: National Honor Society, French Honor Society, English Honor Society…well, all the honor societies, even President of the Game Club. Wait, we had a game club and I'm verily hearing about it now!
    I'm guessing either he had to be at the library or the Game Club.
    “I want to see Yuugi,” I told the mirror.
    I watched for the library. The mirror usually panned its location, like a movie. So I expected a shot of the cement lions, then Yuugi, studying even though it was August.
    Instead, the mirror panned a neighborhood I’d never seen before—and wouldn’t want to see. On the street, two worn-out women in tube tops argued. A junkie slumped on a doorstep, shooting up. The mirror panned up a stoop, through a door, up a staircase with a broken step and a bare lightbulb with wires hanging from it, and landed in an apartment.
    The apartment had peeling paint and coming-up linoleum. There were boxes for bookshelves. But everything looked clean, and Yuugi sat in the middle of it, reading. At least I was right about that.
    He turned a page, then another, and another. I must have watched him read for ten minutes. Yes, I was that bored. But it was more than that. It was sort of cool that he could read like that, and not pay attention to anything around him.

“Hey, gaki!” a voice called, and I jumped. It had been so quiet up until then that I didn’t realize there was anyone else in the apartment with him.
    Yuugi looked up from his book, a little pale. “H-Hai?”
    “I’m…cold. Bring me a blanket, huh?”
    Yuugi sighed and put his book facedown. I glanced at the title. Jane Eyre, it was called. I was bored enough at that point that I thought maybe I’d read it someday.
    “Okay,” he said. “Want some tea too?” He was already standing, walking toward the kitchen.
    “Yeah.” The answer was barely more than a grunt. “Just hurry.”
    Yuugi sighed again before mumbling something about 'Okaa-san' and turned on the faucet and let it run while he took out a battered red teakettle. He filled the kettle and placed it on the stove.
    “Where’s that blanket?” The voice was angry.
    “Coming. Gomen.” With a backward glance at his book, he walked toward the closet and unfolded a skimpy blue blanket. He took it to a woman huddled on an old sofa. She was covered in another blanket, so I couldn’t see her face, but she shivered even though it was August. Yuugi tucked the blanket around her shoulders. “Better?”
    “Not much.”
    “Tea will help.”
    Yuugi made the tea, and searched through the mostly empty refrigerator for something, gave up, and brought the tea to the woman. But she’d fallen asleep. He knelt by her a second, listening. Then he reached his hand under the sofa cushion like he was looking for something. Nothing. He went back to his reading, drinking the tea. I kept watching, but nothing else happened.

    Usually, I only watched a person once. But in the next week, I kept going back to Yuugi. It wasn’t like he was hot-looking or even did anything interesting. Okay maybe I lied, he is pretty cute for a boy bit he was so...boring. Most people at Domino Academy were away at camp, or even in Europe. So I could have looked in on someone at the Louvre if I’d wanted. Or, more like it, I could have seen a camp shower room full of naked girls—okay, I did do that. But usually, I watched Yuugi read or play a game with this Jonouchi guy and his Jiji, Solomon Mutou, in a game shop in a good neighborhood. I couldn’t believe he’d read and play games so much in summer! Sometimes he laughed, reading his book, and once he even cried. I didn’t know how anyone could make such a big deal about books. With the games I can understand but not with books.
    One day, while he was reading, there was a noise—banging on the door. I watched him open it.
    A hand grabbed him. I started.
    “Where is it?” a voice demanded. A tall'ish shape came into view. I couldn’t see her face, only that she was taller than Yuugi. I wondered should I call 110.
    “Where’s what?” Yuugi said.
    “You know what. What’d you do with it?”
    “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” His voice was calm, and he wiggled away from her grip and started back toward his book. Yuugi had his poker gamer face one, I couldn't make out what he was even thinking.
   She grabbed him again and pulled him to her. “Give it to me.”
    “Don’t have it anymore.”
    “Bitch!” She slapped him hard across the face. He stumbled and fell. “I need that. Think you’re better than me, that you can steal from me? Give it to me!”
   She started toward him like she was going to grab him again, but he recovered himself, stood, and ran behind the table. He grabbed his book and held it in front of him, like it would shield him. “Stay away from me. I’ll call the cops.”
    “You wouldn’t call the cops on your own Okaa-san.”
    I started at the word Okaa-san. That sleaze was his mother? The same one he’d tucked the blanket around the week before?
    “I don’t have it,” he said. His face had the busted-up look of someone trying hard not to cry. “I threw it out, flushed it down the toilet.”
    “Flushed it? Hundred bucks’ worth of horse? You—”
    “You shouldn’t have it! You promised…”
    She threw herself at him, but she was unsteady on her feet, and he got away and ran to the door. Still holding his book, he ran from the scummy apartment, down the cracked, cobwebby stairs toward the street.
    “Run away!” she yelled after him. “Just leave like your asshole of a Tou-san did!”
    He ran into the street and to the subway station. I watched him down the stairs, until he got onto the car going to the game shop. Only then did he burst into tears.
    I wished I could go to him.

And Yuugi makes an appearance, Yuugi in this universe lives with his gambling and drug addict of a mother, Jonouchi is the one with the normal, caring father, mother, and sister.

You get a tragic past

Everybody gets a tragic past!

I'm having way to much fun with this ヽ(o'皿′o)ノ

Ja Ne

Sagario