Broken Heart

"All good things come to an end" by Nelly Furtado
***************************

SIGYN
"You are repulsive!" Sigyn spat vehemently. For weeks, Loki was staying mum on the matter of his looming marriage. Tonight, he had Sigyn meet him at the stables to discuss his plan. Sigyn could not hide her emotions. The young woman was in utter dismay over what he had to say. Twas bad enough hearing that Loki was betrothed to a frost giant princess, but it was ten times worse hearing he was going along with the engagement and then marriage without fighting it! Sigyn did not know what she expected, but surely it was not what Loki was proposing!

Loki remained calm and level faced as he watched her. "I marry Angrboda and then I may marry you sometime after-" Sigyn's rough slap across his handsome face caught him off guard. His lovely blue eyes widened in surprise. "You struck me."
"I was hoping such a hit would cause you to drop your blind act," Sigyn breathed, shaking her head while her eyes glossed with tears.

"What is it you expect me to do!? I can hardly deny my parents' wishes!"
"You cannot be expected to marry a stranger!"
"Tis not as though I am receiving a choice on the matter!" Loki replied hotly. "My parents made the situation quite clear; I accept a frost giant as a bride, I may stay in Asgard. I do not, I will be sent away to where she resides."

"Do you not find how repulsive this is??" Sigyn questioned with passion. "What type of parents threaten to banish their child if he does not commit to their asinine desires!"
"The kind that have an adopted bastard of a child," Loki said evenly. "That is who-"
"STOP! Stop defending their sickness! You are no bastard nor are you a monster!" Sigyn cried, grabbing ahold of his pale face within the palms of her warm hands. Tears ran down her cheeks as she shook her head sadly. "Do you not see you are nothing of the sort? Do not do it. Do not marry her, please, please, do not marry her-"
"My choices are quite simple Sigyn," Loki breathed, unable to watch her heartbroken expression. "If I do not go along with this sham of a marriage, I will never be allowed access to Asgard again..."he trailed off, his eyes becoming misty. "I will never be able to see you again."
"So, this is your brilliant plan," Sigyn breathed, her eyes wide. "Marry the monster and then I may become the second wife or concubine years in advance...?"
"Monster?!" Loki hissed through clenched teeth. He roughly pulled away from Sigyn's warm embrace to gape at her. "You deem her a monster when we come from the same parentage??"
"Tis not the same-"

"I am the biological son of the frost giant Laufey and his frost giant mistress. How is my being descended from frost giants any different than Angrboda??"
"Tis nothing of the same!"
"How Sigyn, HOW? I am a frost giant as much as she is! How dare you say she is a monster while I am not!"

Sigyn glared. "I was not aware that you devoured humans or Asgardians in your spare time, Loki." These words were true. Frost giants were known to prey on species not as powerful as they were; they were even known to skin humans for their flesh. Loki's harsh glare propelled her to continue. "Do you understand that is monstrosity? Anyone who ever holds a human or Midgardian as a meal is a monster!"

"I come from the bloodline of frost giants," Loki said through clenched teeth. "If you consider my future wife to be a monster, you consider me one as well."
Sigyn's eyes widened as she stopped approaching. It was his words that cut her very deep. "You speak as though you are already certain you will marry her."

"Why ever should I not be?" Loki challenged spitefully, his beautiful eyes narrowing. "It appears the woman I thought I loved deems me a monster." He came forward so there was less than a twelve-inch space difference between the two of them. Loki glared down at her as he seemed to want to leave her with as much heartbreak as he had felt in her previous comment. "I might as well marry the woman who will at least understand me."
Sigyn no longer advanced as his words felt no different than a horrid strike to the face. Her shoulders deflated as her eyes glossed over with tears. She shook her blonde head softly. "Why do you feel I am always striving to be around you when we are apart...? If I did not believe I understand you almost better than I understand myself, why do you believe I try so hard to be with you?"

"Perhaps you simply desire being inside a prince's bed," Loki spat to the ground, not daring to look at her.
How dare he go there! He knew very well she strongly believed in holding tightly to virginity before marriage. That was the last straw for Sigyn that caused her tears to fall. She came forward and got onto her tiptoes to place a quick kiss upon Loki's cold cheek. "I wish you and your wife a lifetime of happiness," she whispered, turning on her heel as the tears fell freely. Loki attempted to grab her wrist to stop her, but Sigyn roughly pulled away from his grip to run. She ran hard and she ran fast, in her heart knowing there was no stopping the young man she loved from marrying another.

Many days turned to many weeks. So much time passed that Thor and Sif's son had begun to scuttle across the floor in a very awkward crawl. The boy was even teething. The young prince was growing each day as time progressed more and more. Sigyn only grew more depressed as time crept by. She buried herself in her chores and duties, but work could only keep her mind and hands distracted for so long. Night always came, and at that time, Sigyn would cry herself to sleep. The boy she loved married another.

"Sigyn, please stop," Sif finally said three full months since Loki's impromptu marriage to the frost giant princess Angrboda. Sigyn paused her actions of hand washing baby Thorn's clothes to overlook her employer.
"Have I done something to offend you m'lady? Would you like me to use more perfumed soap...?"

Sif openly gaped at her as if the young woman was a wild animal. "Do not pretend as if you are not walking around each and every day heartbroken."
"I do not know what you are referring to," Sigyn replied quietly, scrubbing an invisible stain out of the child's tunic. Sif came over softly. Grabbing ahold of the scrub brush and wet tunic, she promptly threw them across the room. Sigyn quirked a brow. "Why ever would you do that...?"
"React," Sif said, her pretty eyes wide and full of fright. "Please, please, react. Twas not difficult to discover you and Loki were much more than simple friends. I saw something change in you when he married-"
"I simply grew up," Sigyn snapped before realizing she was disrespecting her employer. "I am sorry."

"Do not be sorry to everyone, every day, all the time," Sif hissed, throwing her hands wildly. "You fell in love and then Loki married another. You are falling apart."
"Forgive me if my first instinct upon heartbreak is not to fall apart at the seams," Sigyn said coolly. "Is there a point you are striving to make...?"
"I entered your chambers the night before last to inform you an extended leave can be taken while Thor and I visit Acasia with our son," Sif revealed, her eyes holding pity. "I came across you sobbing and trembling into your pillow..."
Sigyn closed her eyes. "What is it you wish me to say...?"
"Thor and I have seen the weight loss, Sigyn. You barely touch your food nowadays. You no longer sing to Thorn while preparing his meals, and you no longer hold any light behind your eyes...You need to mourn, Sigyn."

"Why is it you care if I mourn a lost love, Sif? What is it to you??"
Thor's young wife watched the maiden with heavy sadness behind her eyes. "You are the one person besides my husband who spared me kindness when there was utterly no reason for you to. I consider you my friend, my very closest here, allow me to return you the same courtesy."

"What is it you expect, m'lady?" Sigyn said, tears welling behind her lovely green eyes. "I adore working for you and Thor, I dislike the very idea that just on the other side of the palace resides Loki and his b-b-bride," Sigyn said, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I find it disturbing Loki and I can walk past one another in hallways and he can react as if he has never met me before..."

Sigyn started to weep before Sif wrapped her arms around her for a hug. The slightly older girl patted the back of Sigyn's head while the girl cried freely. "It h-h-hurts," she cried, trying and failing at keeping her tears away. "My heart is b-b-broken."
"If it matters, Loki is not happy, Sigyn. He misses you."
"H-h-he m-married Angrboda. He got what h-h-he w-wanted," wailed the young woman, breaking apart at the seems the more she spoke. "He is m-m-more than fine, b-better off than I-I am..."

"My husband has spoken how he is gravely concerned for Loki's sanity," Sif said, gently hugging her friend. "Er, well, what has now been discovered, tis understandable how he has been going a little mad..."

Sigyn paused her actions to gape at Sif. Whatever could Loki be struggling with? He married the Frist Giant princess like a good little prince. He did what was expected of him; what could possibly have Thor and Sif worried for his sanity? "I do not understand w-w-what you are implying," she hiccupped softly.
Sif's eyes widened as she now sported heavy guilt. "I thought you knew..." she trailed off, strong pity behind her eyes.
"Knew w-what?"

Sif opened and closed her mouth a few times, looking quite like a newborn unicorn looking for a meal. "Er..."
"M'lady..."
"I do not wish to be the bearer of this news..."
"What is w-w-wrong with L-Loki..." -it hurt to even say his name- "that it has you acting s-s-so strangely?"
Sif's eyes held overwhelming pity before she closed them tightly. "As you are aware, Loki married Angrboda." Sigyn wondered where the woman was going. She was not stating cruel facts Sigyn did not already know! "He laid with Angrboda," Sif said quietly, now unable to look at her friend. "Once, that much is certain."

Upon Sigyn's puzzled look, Sif looked beyond guilty. "My husband told me in secret. Loki took in an overabundance of alcohol and special herbs to make the marriage bearable. The night of their marriage he had to consummate the relationship, and he did..."
It was not as though Sigyn did not already know a husband and wife would engage in acts of a sexual nature, but it did not hurt any less. But strangely, this was not all Sif was revealing. "The frost giant Angrboda is with child; Loki's child."
That was the moment Sigyn collapsed to her knees and truly sobbed her heart out.