2. The Fallen Castle; Memories Of A Time Gone By

The end was surely upon them. The castle had completely enveloped all else around the three heroes and in less than a second it would crush them.

The end did come swiftly. The Professor held onto Katia and Flora and held them close, eager to ensure that they didn't die alone. That they died together.

This and one other thought swam clear through the barrage of mixed thoughts and feelings he saw in his head. They covered all manner of topics from how his young assistant and friend, Luke would react to the news of his mentor and greatest friend's death to how the world would react. The world didn't matter. Only those he loved did. The people who looked up to him. Those people who he looked up to.

Oh Luke, he cried in his head, his heart twinging with a deep, throbbing pain unlike any he had ever felt since the night Claire left.

How this would crush his spirit. Luke looked up to the Professor as more than just a friend. He saw Hershel as another father figure. Now, he would lose him.

Memories swam through of the many faces he encountered in his journeys. Too many and they would all be gone. Some were with him now and that too was unthinkable. Katia was more than just a good friend and Flora... Flora was his daughter. How terrible, he realised it must be, to have to not only die alongside your daughter, but to have been the cause of it. If only I had left her behind...

The one memory that stood strong as well as that of staying close to those with him now was one of great joy. He needed at least that one. All others brought nothing but unbearable pain and suffering.

Soon, he would be reunited with his love. Claire.

Yes, he thought proudly, tears falling from his cheeks. I will see you soon, my love.

He opened his eyes, only just then conscious of the fact he had closed them. The castle was almost about to crush them now. He turned to Flora and gripped her more tightly, pulling her into a tighter embrace than he had ever given before.

'"I love you, Flora..." He muttered, an almost whisper that Flora noticed left the Professor with a voice too heartbreaking to ever have to hear from anyone, least of all the Professor. Her father.

"I lo-"

It was too late. The end came swiftly. The castle hit the ground with an almighty crash and Flora's last words were cut off in the brutal end.

Katia was dead.

Flora was dead.

Professor Layton was dead.