25. The Seeds Of Corruption

"And that's how it started...." Anton muttered, rubbing his eyes, trying to stay awake along with the others. There would be no time for rest when they got there, and right now the story was too engaging. He did, however, want to stop it there to allow them time to rest their eyes with the little time they had left.

"Power can corrupt even the strongest of us..." The Inspector murmured, adjusting herself so she was more comfortable.

"But not the bravest!" Flora protested. "The Professor taught me that."

She smiled warmly at the Professor who returned her smile with an even bigger one.

"Maybe so..." The Inspector agreed, yawning.

"I think our restless eyes and yawns mean only one thing..." Anton sighed, placing the diary back into his pocket. "Time to sleep."

"What?!' The women protested, sitting up straight.

"We need our rest. Once we get there we can't go to bed. We don't know how far behind Oliver is, but even with our speed boost, he won't be that far."

"But we must find out what happens next!" Katia cried. "Please grandfather, just a little more!"

Anton looked uncertainly in his granddaughter's eyes and then down to the diary jutting out the edge of his pocket.

Taking it out, he flicked to the page they were at and then checked ahead to see how many pages there were.

'Yes..." He breathed. "There wasn't much after that. He never filled out the whole thing. That's the reason I have this now... Very well then!" He said, his cracking voice rising. He was almost at his peak, but they could squeeze in the last few entries.

As the others cheered, the Professor couldn't help but dwell on the fact that Anton was right. They would need their rest. He would have tried to defend Anton, but he was also curious. The ring certainly caused Oliver to lose his waym but there was something more. Something that made that caring man snap and become a villain.

Entry 13

I wanted to visit Anton more.

I can't deny that there was that... certain attraction to the ring, but I put Anton as a friend over my desire to obtain archaeological artefacts. I loved archaeology, but I would never put it over the ones I care about. I won't make the same mistake I made with Claire. We were finally connecting once more.

Things have been rather quiet the past couple of days. Before, I had so much to talk about. Everything was happening, whether me documenting my wallowing thoughts or the exciting things that happened.

Of course, archaeology is still thrilling! It's just, I need that extra spice in my life. That little thing that changes everything. Just like with Anton. Perhaps I will go visit him again soon. I have a plan in mind to fulfil my thrill seeking mind...

Entry 14

I visited Anton this weekend. I must say it was the best weekend of my life!

We talked at first. About how he got into this vampire business in more detail. At first, it was to scare them off. Then it became more. It filled his longing heart. With his grief and outrage over loving his love, he didn't have the heart to face anyone else. The scaring at first got rid of the thieves.

After that, it became a habit. Keeping up appearances, as they say. He wanted to ensure that no one ever came near.

A few months later, that was satisfied and he rarely had to worry about intruders.