26. Before the Storm

We have arrived. Be ready at the plaza.

M.

*****

Hershel’s eyes flickered open as faint sunlight trickled through the window and shone across his face.

Dawn was upon them and as he sat up, he noticed that the train was slowing down. He heard the faint hissing noises and he knew it only meant one thing.

They had arrived.

*****

As the others met in the dining car, many yawning and some rubbing their eyes, the train drew to a halt and Sammy came jogging into the car.

"Alriiiight, everybody!" He screamed mildly, understanding of the fact that they just woke up. "Welcome back to Fooolsense! Be prepared for danger, excitement and a whole load of men with guns. Proceed with caution."

As the small group trudged their way off the train and into the station, Hershel frowned as he listened for the faintest of sounds. It was early morning, and anyone here would be asleep, but there was something else. The silence seemed artificial, forced. As if something had brought it along ready for this moment.

The doors hissed close behind them, and as Flora made to run off, Hershel held her back as he surveyed the misty station.

"No." He muttered, his voice a empty void.

"What's wrong, Professor?" Flora asked, looking to the Professor concernedly.

"Inspector Marauder." He stated, not turning to address her.

"Yes?" She asked, pushing her way past Sammy who let out a small gasp of surprise.

"I would like you to take everyone else around the other side of the train, and then lead them to the Gatherer. I shall do this alone."

"What are you talking about?!" Katia demanded, grabbing the Professor's shoulder and pulling him so he stared into her unsteady eyes.

"I sense a trap. We do not know if Oliver overtook us for certain, but we must be ready for any scenario. If he does catch me, it is better that he doesn't know I found all of you. That way, it still gives us the element of surprise."

The Inspector licked her lips and then sighed thinly.

"That does make sense..." She murmured. "I don't really like it, but I think you are right on this one. If... if you are caught, we will make sure we rescue you."

"Yes!" Flora exclaimed, punching the air. "You guys can rescue us!"

"Us?" Hershel started, turning to address his adamant daughter.

"Oh yes, of course." She said, matter of factly. "Oliver doesn't know the rest of them are free, but I am still someone who he thinks is alive. Besides, it would look weird if you were by yourself. I need to be there to protect you, as well!"

"Protect me...?"

"Mmm!"

"I want you to go with them, for your safety. I cannot bear to see you hurt. If you come with me, this is most undoubtedly a trap."

He recalled his feelings of anguish as they thought the castle was about to crush them. All those times he left her behind, he said so because it was dangerous. Although she came and survived, each time she faced great peril and Hershel feared the day when her luck would run out. That day was too much for him to bear.

"But Professor!" She protested, pulling at his jacket. "You said that I must be strong! I am not going to hide while you are in danger!"

"It is not hiding. You will be at the advantage. As he is preoccupied with me, you and the others can dismantle the Gatherer and save the day."