10. A Warm Reunion

Hershel discussed some of the more finite details as the orb slowly made its way over the large, elegant buildings of the oasis of a city that was Monte d'Or.

These details consisted of their most immediate move which was how they would separate and how the group heading to London would be able to make it there before Oliver. Surely he had vehicles that were taking them there at great speed as they spoke.

As the preparations were complete, Hershel asked Don Paolo how to control the orb, dubbed 'Cata-Sphere-Copter. Or C.S.C for short.

"Well, I am sure it shall be easier to call it that." The Professor grinned lightly.

When the little lesson was complete, they landed the orb and allowed the stealth group to depart. The Claire team also followed as Hershel explained that they could take them to a friend that would get the stealth team to Folsense much faster.

"Who is your friend?" Flora inquired eagerly, almost letting go of the Professor's hand as Team Layton made their way down the colourful, familiar (to Layton) streets of Monte d'Or. Hershel seemed to know his way as if he had made his way around the streets many times.

"A good friend of mine. My best friend. Randall Ascot."

"Of course!" She exclaimed. "Luke told me all about this adventure and how personal it was to you. It must have been so horrible to believe your friend was dead all those years. All that time thinking one you loved was never coming back..."

"Indeed." Hershel said solemnly. "Still, he is alive and well. There were a few complications with the law, but I believe that he is living in the Ledore mansion, or should I say, Ascot mansion now."

"Yes, yes. I was there, Layton!" Grosky pouted.

"Yes, you were, however, I understand that the events afterwards were not told to all. Flora does have a keen interest."

"Just like the Luke boy, eh?"

Don Paolo and Flora turned quickly to the Professor expecting him to flinch, but he didn't.

"Yes."

The group was silent after that, with the only sounds being that of cheering in the distance as people saw loved ones returning to them. The part of the city they landed in was quite deserted and that is what the Professor had suggested.

Hershel found himself smiling as he looked upon the gates that blocked the path leading to the mansion. He knew that this time going up would be on good tidings. Not for the purposes of an investigation.

As he went to open the gate, Inspector Marauder stopped him.

"Wouldn't these people you know be out celebrating the return of their loved ones?"

"Ah, while that is the case for a majority of the city, I am fully aware that this city was built on dreams and miracles by the owners. The only loss they suffered was that of my friend, but he was actually alive so they would not see his ghost. They have no reason to leave the mansion."

"Maybe they just want to witness the wonders?"

*****

"Wonders!" Hershel's old and dear friend, Henry snorted. "We knew that this was not as it seemed."

"We knew that this was not quite the miracle it appeared to be." Angela smiled, taking a seat next to Henry and the Professor. She placed the tray of tea on the table in front of them. "We also knew that you would be involved and you would find the rational explanation."

"That is most certainly the case." Hershel nodded, taking a cup from the tray and filling his stomach with the warm joy that was a good cup of tea.