6. The Dream Net

Had the situation not been so grim, the others might have laughed. Even so, they felt a small sense of triumph in their stomachs. This seemingly indestructible villain was just a man.

As Oliver stumbled back and recovered, Hershel rested his hand on Katia's shoulder.

"As a true gentleman, I would say that violence was not how this delicate situation must be handled." Katia bit her lip and then lowered her head in shame. A scolding from the Professor was a bigger deal than it seemed. "However, in this case, I would say you are justified."

Katia looked up furtively so see that the Professor was smiling. She found it in herself to smile too and she gave him a quick hug. The Professor always found ways to comfort her.

The other members of the group in the centre of the clearing also found themselves grinning and Flora had opened her mouth in exclamation. This was a new side to her father she had not seen. If Luke had been here then he would have had an ever bigger reaction than them all.

Thinking about Luke summoned unwelcome feelings inside her and Flora did not want to confront those anymore. She had found out that Luke had left from Dean Delmona when she went to check up on the Professor after finally being released from Scotland Yard. When the Dean had told her where her father had went, she had to take a seat and collect herself. Luke had been like a brother to her. To find out that she would not be there to see him off was like a monumental blow to her stomach.

She would have sat there silent that afternoon had it not been for the timely appearance of Luke's mother. She had dropped by the University to pick up some of her husband's documents and she had gone to the Dean to ask him if there were any last bits of Clark's items lying around. She saw Flora and frowned. She had only met Flora once, but she knew that she was the Professor's adopted daughter and good friends with Luke. That she might not been there to see him off was unacceptable.

Shortly after saying goodbye to the Dean, Brenda Triton and Flora rushed to her car and they were at the dock before the setting of the sun. The Professor had just hugged Luke and was watching as Luke ran off towards his father.

They parked the car and when they ran to see the Professor, he had already disappeared into the throng of people. They tried to follow the top hat which stood taller than the crowd, but they realised quite sillily when they caught up with who they thought the Profess was, that the person wearing the hat was someone dressed exactly like the Professor. He was shorter and more portly, however, and he remarked about how inaccurate Flora's costume was. Flora tried to assure the rude man that she was the real Flora, but Brenda pulled her away mentioning that they came here for Luke.

They approached Clark who was packing some bags and Luke was a few steps away, his hat covering his eyes as he remained silent.

Clark was happy to see them and he tapped Luke on the shoulder gently to gain his attention. The young boy looked up to see that Flora was staring straight at him, her wide smile filling him with warmness. He quickly wiped his eyes of the few tears that remained, eager to look like nothing had bothered him but he could see that Flora had only grinned wider and he sighed.

"Now, now, Luke." She said, her ever-present smile lighting up the moods of all those around her. "I don't want your departure to be a miserable one."

"Flora, I'm so glad to see you!" He exclaimed joyfully. He ran towards the young girl and gave her a big hug. Flora hugged him back tighter than she had ever hugged anyone, she thought with a frown. She had not realised how much Luke's departure really affected her until now.

"Don't be gone too long!" She whispered as they kept the embrace. She had not realised she was crying until a small tear fell on her hand. "I want you back soon. For me and the Professor. Can you do that for me?"