20. Endless Love

Anton came hurrying back in followed shortly by a young man wearing one of the familiar gentleman suits and an apron from his time here as a cook. He had short, brown hair and his eyes showed a man much older than his years. He had gone through the worst during his time here.

Dorothea came in next followed by Inspector Marauder who checked once behind her and then closed the door.

"Good." Anton smiled, patting Martin on the back. "We're all here. I must say, we had some trouble there getting past those guards, but we got you."

"I'm glad you did..." He sighed, stroking the back of his head and turning to face the Inspector. They smiled at each other warmly. It seemed he was grateful for her defence skills. "I couldn't take another day working for that vile man!"

"Well, I think you will be happy to hear that that man is, shall we say... getting to know the floor." The Inspector grinned, winking at the others.

Martin looked confusedly at the rest and then Dorothea pointed to the floor at the unconscious man and then he chuckled.

"Well that's the most welcome sight I have laid my eyes upon in ages!"

"Shouldn't we be leaving?" Katia asked worriedly, gesturing to the balcony behind them.

"Katia, you're awake!" Anton gasped, his eyes almost exploding out of his head.

"Yes I am grandfather, and it's all thanks to the Professor!"

As Anton and Dorothea ran over to hug the smiling woman, the door behind them opened suddenly and the Inspector was ready to pounce on the guard. She made to swing her fist when she stopped abruptly. In front of her was a kindly old woman in a magnificent looking dress.

"Oh, who is this?" She muttered, but no one responded.

Anton was frozen on the spot and now he realised it was too late to hide.

"What's going on here?" The woman asked, warmth clear in her voice.

"Grandmother..." Katia said, surprise and confusion mixed in her tone. "What are you doing here?"

"I heard all that unpleasant racket and came to check if you were alright. I was unaware that we had guests."

"What's going on?" Flora asked, turning her head for any explanation.

"Everyone," Katia smiled, her cheeks rose red. "this is Sophia, my grandmother. Grandmother, this is Professor Layton and his friends. The Professor solves mysteries and is a genius puzzle-solver."

"Is that so?" The old woman frowned, eyeing the Professor curiously. I'm the part of the bird that's not in the sky. I can swim in the ocean and yet remain dry. What am I?"

"It would appear you are a shadow." The Professor replied, surprising everyone with his speedy response. 

"A shadow...?" Flora puzzled, placing her hand on her chin. "Oh I get it! The only part of a bird that's not in the sky with it is its shadow. Or its dropping, but then that wouldn’t make sense for the next part... The shadow can swim gracefully along the ocean, but it doesn't get wet because it is not an object. That was clever. I like riddles!"

"Well then." Sophia beamed. "Perhaps you would like another!"

"Yes please!"

"I'm afraid we do not have time for another puzzle, Flora." The Professor stated. "If you remember we must leave the Anderson residence before the guards discover our location."

"Oh, you're right! Oh... I guess we'll have to solve more puzzles later."

"Any time dear." The old woman said, winking at the young girl.