13. The Illusion of Free Will

Stepping casually into the crowds of London had them all on edge.

So far, they blended into the crowd quite fine and no one looked at them twice. The plan was working! Except, they couldn't stay on the streets for too long. They had the ability to blend for a short while, but soon one might recognise one of them and there were most likely Gatherers located throughout the throng of the city.

Despite the seriousness of the situation, and the great feeling of anxiety they had, one member of the group could not stop staring at the Professor's head.

"It's just... so different to what I expected!" Flora murmured in awe.

"I'm surprised he didn't have any food at all!" Barton tutted.

Inspector Chelmey ripped the newspaper off a nearby stand and rolled it up before smacking Barton on the head. As the Constable winced and rubbed his head, Chelmey handed the paper back to the dazzled man at the stand.

"Oh would you quit it with food for once, Barton! Don't you feel even a little tense?"

"Oh, of course I do, Inspector, sir." Barton gulped. "It's just... it's just that once in a while, when things look grim, a little smile will bring-"

"A world of wonders!" Hershel finished. "Yes, I quite like that. Wouldn't you agree we need to smile, Inspector? We do rather look like a solemn bunch."

'Hmph!" He grumbled in response, but the others could tell that he secretly believed it too.

It was relatively easy, weaving in and out of streets and across busy courtyards and other such public places the enemy wouldn't expect them to go.

The thing was, the enemy in the city knew exactly where they were. Just a few members, but a few was all it would take to send their plan crumbling into nothing. They were being watched constantly the moment they had first stepped into the crowd. Albeit, they were taken by the fact that the Professor wasn't wearing a hat. If it wasn't for the other more noticeable members of the group, they might have got away.

Might.

So the Gatherers allowed them to have the illusion of free will. They were waiting for their moment to strike. The moment where the group would slip up. There was just one problem. They had been told that there were nine people. Where were the rest of them, then?

*****

In fact, the 'rest of them' were right where the Heartbreaker didn't expect them to be.

Moving through the town swiftly, the other four members of Team Layton, or now dubbed: Team Gatherer, were grinning as they reflected on how brilliant the plan was. They were not expected to be here. Oliver certainly didn't know.

Then why was it that a small group of Gatherers were quietly making their way straight for the group now?

*****

Inspector Chelmey realised they were being watched. He turned to tell the Professor when he realised that he didn't want to let the enemy know they were aware. If they were watching the group, they would see the Inspector reveal their presence.

As it was, he looked at Hershel in the corner of his eye and the Professor did something quite surprising. He nodded.

Gulping nervously, the Inspector wiped his brow of sweat and took a deep breath,

Come on, Chelmey! He told himself furiously. Where is that raw talent you possess. The thing that makes you better than your amazingly perfect in every way brother-in-law, Grosky.

He said the name in his head with pure spite. Brother-in-law or not; Grosky wasn't having the glory this time!

Straightening his jacket, the Inspector put on a great smile and let out a hearty laugh to try and intimidate the enemy.