5. The Diabolical Plan

"Well this is quite the surprise..." Oliver laughed, stepping towards Dimitri and the rest as if they were old friends.

The cool night air swept lazily through the clearing and sent chills down many spines. It was as if nature was in anticipation for the events to follow.

As the townsfolk and police officers spread out forming a wider net, Hershel noticed familiar faces in the crowd: Inspector Marauder, Constable Barton and Dorothea, looked on with trepidation, and sticking out like Pavel in a tunnel, Inspector Grosky.

"We're here to help you, Layton!" Grosky cheered, chest puffed out. He looked positively thrilled to be here. When the Professor had last seen him, he had arrested Inspector Bloom who had secretly been working for Targent. Grosky's rise through the ranks was no surprise, and fishy organisations were his forte. It was only a matter of time, Hershel knew, before Grosky would show his face. Hershel just hoped that...

"Yoohoo. Grosky! I'm here for you, my love!"

Hershel sighed thinly, though he found a smile as the enthusiastic Hanna came rocketing in. As president and sole member of the Clamp Grosky Fan Club, Hanna considered it her duty to follow her idol wherever he should find himself, and she was quite remarkable at tracking his whereabouts. Her ability to predict police movements had even put her on the radar of several national intelligence agencies. Or so Hershel had heard.

"Confounded, woman! Can't you see we have a more serious issue at hand. We must stop this dastardly agency knows as the Gatherers! For the yard!"

Grosky whooped into the air and went to charge. Hershel found his hopes on the rise once more that evening.

"Thank you, Claire," he muttered to himself.

The many townsfolk looked ready to start a war and a war it would have been. And yet also a slaughter. For every police officer with a gun. there were two Gatherer men with their own rifles and machine guns. The people of Folsense far outnumbered the seemingly large number of thugs, but they carried gardening tools and sports items. They were no match for the brute force of the Gatherers and Hershel had to stop the deaths before they began.

"I appreciate you coming, Dimitri," he grinned, walking past Flora and Katia, stopping a few feet away from some of the guards. "However, this must end now. I do not wish to see anyone die here, and die they shall if this madness is allowed to continue."

"But Hershel!" Dimitri chided. "We gathered everyone here for you. We will end this now!"

"Yes, you are quite right, but it shall not be done through force. Can you not see that the weapons these men carry are superior to your own?"

Dimitri's mouth fell open in confoundment and he cast his eyes about him, eyes fixing on the menacing devices in each Gatherer's hand.

"I... But then what do we do, Layton?!"

"Nothing!" a snide voice sounded to their right. "That's what happens!"

Oliver had made his way next to Layton and Dimitri - only three feet away - and Dimitri had to restrain himself from lashing out.

"Do you think we will stand by and watch you orchestrate your foul deed?!" he spat.

"Yes. Yes, I'm afraid you rather will."

Hershel could see the demented look in Oliver's eyes, harrowing, splintering into instability. He was a time bomb, ready to blow. He had to proceed with the utmost caution and tact.

Oliver took a step back and raised his arms wide. He addressed the entire crowd and he raised his voice so all could hear his diabolical plan.

"Put down your weapons and I shall spare you. You see, it is not my intention for anyone to die!"