a handful of moments

When Harry woke up he smelt the pizza on the nightstand before he saw it. His stomach growled and he sat up, taking the plate with a yawn. He ate his food and then padded downstairs quietly. Though once he reached the bottom of the stairs he realised that this wasn't his house. It was far more decorated than his and seemed like an actually home. Harry turned around and jumped, putting his hand over his heart.

"Christ, Louis." He let out a breath.

"Sorry bout that, H." The older boy let out a small smile, walking up to him. "Before you ask, I didn't kidnap you. You passed out earlier and I brought you here so you could rest and my mum could check you out to make sure you were okay." And I wanted to see you.

Harry bit his lip and nodded slightly. He wanted to protest and go back to his spot in the park, but he was already here so he figured there wouldn't be any harm in staying. "Why.. what're you doing up so early?" He glanced to the stove and checked the time: 4:38am.

"Couldn't sleep. Haven't been able to lately." Louis answered, leaning against the counter next to Harry. "What happened with Nick, H?" He asked bluntly, turning to face him.

"I-" Harry looked down, playing with his sweater. "He's just an ex," he said quietly, biting his lip. "Just an ex."

"Lottie told me what happened, everything that you said. Sounds like he was pretty shitty." Louis replied, his eyes tracing over Harry's features. He knew he was being pushy but he wanted to know, he wanted to help Harry.

"I, um, I guess. I should go back to sleep, school and everything." Harry replied quickly, hopping off the counter.

"Wait, I'm sorry. That was pushy of me. I just want to help." Harry froze, his eyes glazing over. The static in his mind came back at a rapid pace.

"Well don't. It's none of your business, Louis." He snapped, getting off the counter. "Jesus Christ, stop staring at me like I'm fucking broken."

Louis was taken aback by the sudden outburst. His face went blank and he pushed himself off the counter, walking up to Harry so he was face to face. Harry prepared himself for Louis to kick him out, call him crazy, the whole nine yards.

"You're not broken, Harry. You're just a little lost, and that's okay. It's okay to get lost sometimes before you can get on the right path." Louis explained, "I'm sorry if I offended you, I just want you to be okay. I've known you for what? A week? And you've already gotten your ass beat once. It's okay to need help, it's okay to ask for help. There are people out there who can help you."

"Stay out of my fucking business, kay? I don't need you telling me what I need." Harry said without missing a beat. He turned on his heel and left the kitchen, walking up the stairs two at a time. Louis flinched when he heard Harry's door slam.

Louis stood in the middle of the kitchen playing the scene back in his head. Harry was fine two minutes ago, and now he's like a totally different person. It didn't make sense, and Louis' sleep deprived brain was too tired to try to figure it out.

He poured tea into both mugs and made his way upstairs, bringing the second cup into Harry's room. He placed it on the nightstand and left without a word, not daring enough to make eye contact with the boy who was staring straight through his skull.

..

Days had passed in the Tomlinson household and neither boy had spoken to each other.

Jay was getting suspicious of the behaviour and led Louis into her room to talk about it with him.

("I see how you look at this boy, Lou. There's something there. You deserve to be happy. After the twins father left and you stepped up as a father figure for them I knew you would sacrifice a lot of things. You've already given up Uni and your dream job, please don't compromise your relationships also. Go after him, okay? Bake him cookies or something, for Christ's sake." Jay smiled at him, wiping a stray tear from her cheek.)