The Abandoned Lion Cub

It's been almost a week since Kagome's pack grew bigger. Akari began to explain everything she knew about tengus. Masahiro was helping Shippo with sword fighting. Hansuke also helped Kagome and Akari with their powers. Akari told everyone that it would take three more days to reach Kaira's nest. Kagome was nervous about her and Shippo's identity being revealed. She never told them her real name. She felt guilty for not telling them. But she grew attached to her new name and Shippo started to like his as well. She knew that sooner or later they will find out. Hopefully it's later that she would have to tell them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Masahiro could tell that Reina (Kagome) seemed worried about something. He wanted to ask her what was wrong, but he figured it might involve one of her secrets. Instead, he decided to wait until she wishes to talk to him about it. He began to wonder why she was being secretive. Then he realized he never asked her why she and Akinobu (Shippo) were traveling by themselves and how she easily trusts him. Masahiro probably guessed that her trust in demons or people had gotten her in a lot of trouble. But if she did get in that kind of trouble, how did she get out of it?

When Kagome's pack arrived in a village, they heard a yelp of a small child. They rushed towards the sound and saw a group of men surrounding a little child who was curled up like a ball. Masahiro and Hansuke quickly stepped in and stopped them from further abusement. Kagome quickly went to the child's side. The child was unconscious when she held her in her arms. The little girl had short dirty blond hair and was wearing a dark orange kimono with a brown obi. But then she noticed something. The child had dark brown colored cat ears on top of her head and there was a cat tail behind her as well.

"What are you doing?! Treating a small girl like that!" Masahiro yelled at the group of men. He and Hansuke stood in front of Kagome while she held the child close to her.

"That child is a hanyō!" The first man said, pointing a the child.

"And she was stealing our food, too!" The second man said.

"She's just a child!" Akari said. The two men then noticed Kagome.

"You're a miko, aren't you suppose to kill demons?" The third man asked.

"I help preserve life. Bringing balance. I only kill demons who bring harm towards others." Kagome said. With that said, Masahiro walked over to Reina and lifted the child into his arms. After that, Kagome and the others left the village.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kagome and the others stopped at a clearing to set up camp for the night. Masahiro and Shippo went fishing, Hansuke went to collect firewood, and Kagome and Akari went to set up camp. After camp was all set up. Akari helped Kagome take care of the hanyō child. Everyone felt so sorry for the young hanyō. So many scars for someone so young. It was heartbreaking. Trying to survive on her own.

The child fluttered her eyes and then she stared at Kagome with her cat green eyes. The child instant grew frighten and jumped out of the sleeping bag and hid behind one of the trees near the camp. She peeked her head out behind the tree. Kagome could see light in her green eyes that were reflected by the campfire. But she could also see the fear that was in the little one's eyes.

"Come here, little one." Kagome said, holding her hand out. The child shrunk back behind the tree.

"Don't worry, I promise I won't hurt you." Kagome said. The little hanyō was still looking at Reina with fear. The half demon had probably already sensed that she's a miko.

"What kind of hanyō are you?" Kagome asked.

"I'm-I'm a lion-cub," The half demon said, peeking out.