Windows of the Soul

One night, after a long day of walking, Kagome took Masahiro's hand and lead him away from the camp. They stood near a small river, watching the full moon reflected onto the water. Even though it was risky, she wanted to tell her secret to Masahiro. She knew that if she didn't tell him, he'll think that she's not trustworthy anymore. The only truth she told him about herself was that she was the Shikon Miko. She didn't know if he will trust her afterwards, but it might be worth the risk.

"Reina? Is something wrong?" Masahiro asked. He sensed uncertainty in her aura. He wondered why she was acting this way. He noticed that she was stealing glances while they were on the road today. It made him curious why she was acting this way.

"Masahiro, there's something I want to tell you." Kagome said, turning around. Staring at Masahiro. She held her hands together as she tried to form the words in her mind before she decided to say them.

"What is it?" Masahiro asked.

"My real name is Kagome Higurashi and Akinobu's real name is Shippo." Kagome said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Masahiro felt like the entire world stopped at that moment. Reina had told him her real name. He sensed no lies in her aura. He knew that she was telling the truth. But why the secret?

"Why did you change your names?" Masahiro asked.

"To avoid being found by my old pack." Kagome said.

"Your old pack?" Masahiro asked, his brow arched.

"My old pack has Inuyasha who is a inu hanyō, Miroku who's a monk with a dark void in his right hand, and Sango who's the last demon slayer of her village and her best friend is a two tailed fire-nekomata named Kirara." Kagome said. Masahiro remembered the individuals Hansuke told them about. So Kagome was the priestess who was hunting Naraku. But how come she wasn't with her pack?

"Why did you leave?" Masahiro asked.

"Inuyasha invited Kikyō into the pack without my consent." Kagome said.

"Who's Kikyō?" Masahiro asked. Kagome took a big sigh and told Masahiro all about Inuyasha and Kikyō's relationship and how Kikyō was revived.

"Not to be rude or anything, but Inuyasha is quite the idiot." Masahiro said.

"What do you mean?" Kagome asked.

"Instead of moving on from his past, he decides to stay in the past. Destroying his future in the process." Masahiro said.

"That is true." Kagome said, "But I don't understand. Why does he wants me if Kikyō was joining him?"

"What do you mean?" Masahiro asked.

"When Koga comes around, he tells him that I belong to him. But when Kikyō shows up, he only cares about her and leaves me to defend myself." Kagome said.

"Well, inuyōkai tend to be very possessive of anything that they feel belongs to them." Masahiro said.

"Well, I was his precious shard detector after all." Kagome said.

"That's not true, Kagome!" Masahiro said, "You're very precious to us. You're a precious comrade to us. Not a precious shard detector."

"Really?" Kagome asked.

"Hai." Masahiro said with a smile.

"Thank you." Kagome said, "But there are times when I think that all men like me because of my looks and demons only want me for my powers."