Chapter 17

Harry's POV:

From the moment I woke up this morning I had a strict mission. I needed to see McKenna and talk to her. I didn't care what it took to get her attention or for her to talk to me again. I just needed to tell her the truth and I wasn't going to give up this time. And I sure wasn't going to do anything to mess it up if she gave me another chance.

I walked out of class heading to the cafeteria knowing she would be there. I was greeted by Mark who started talking to me. I could tell he was still hung-over because his words were slurred.

"Hey bro, wicked party last night huh?" Mark said. He was referring to the annual back-to-school party the football team held. I only went to for an hour and that was to see if McKenna would be there. But, she wasn't. Things got a little out of hand last night and I didn't want to be there when the cops rolled up.

I brushed off his comment and headed to the cafeteria. I was on a specific mission. I needed to find McKenna. I needed to see her. I had to last all winter break without her smile around. Even when she was around me but, hating me, I would take that over not seeing her at all. I just had to be in her presence. There was just this constant feeling I had that pulled me to her. I spotted her just as she was about to sit down. I half ran to meet her until I saw someone identical to me sitting down next to her.

Marcel.

Normally, it wouldn't have been a big deal if Marcel was with a girl. Actually it would have been a big deal. But, because he was with McKenna it was different. McKenna was different and she saw something special in him. I couldn't believe I was saying this but, had I lost to my little brother Marcel? Had he won the girl?

Edward was taken care of, as far as I was concerned. He decided that after he hurt McKenna he didn't want to come back to school here. So he decided to stay in Holmes Chapel.

I slowed my speed and approached cautiously. Marcel saw me first and he wasn't happy to see me. McKenna turned around when she saw Marcel staring at me. When she turned around I realized just how much I had missed her. How all I wanted to do was make it up to her. I wasn't really sure what I was to blame for, but what ever the reason I needed to try.

"Hi Harry" she said in a tense tone, not her usual perkiness.

"McKenna, could we talk for a minute?"

McKenna's POV:

I was dreading having to see Harry again. He was the reason Edward and I broke up. But, I couldn't blame him. It was Ashley's fault. She had given Edward a picture of Harry and I. But, that picture was from such a long time ago, it was before Edward and I started seeing each other. I suddenly regretted fighting with Edward. We had a connection. But, then again I felt the same when I was with all of the Styles. That's why I couldn't bare to see Harry. It was like he had an invisible pull on me that made me want to keep going back even though he hurt me. I knew my heart had an uncontrollable connection with him but my head warned me not to go down that road again. Still I thought I should give him a chance to see what he was going to say.

"Fine. Talk"

"Alone?"

Marcel looked at me with nervous eyes. I put my hand on Marcel's and said, "I'll be right back" trying to reassure him that nothing was going to happen. I walked away with Harry.

"What do you want Harry?"

"Another chance. I don't even know what I did wrong. You just stopped talking to me. I already apologized for the thing with Stacey. You're the first girl and last girl I've felt a connection with since I've been here."

"Harry you hurt me."

"Give me the real reason you don't want to be with me. Is it because of Marcel?"

McKenna thought about it. She looked over at Marcel sighing. She didn't want to hurt Marcel but, she did want to give Harry another chance. One more chance to prove that he really cared for her.

"No, its because I have feeling for you. And if I let myself be with you everything changes, it becomes real. And I open myself to heartbreak. I don't want to feel that pain after what happened with Edward. I don't want to do that again. I'm not ready," I said pouring out my heart. Everything I told him was the truth.

"I promise, I wont hurt you again. The second I do something wrong I'll leave you alone for good," Harry said genuinely taking my hands in his.

My stomach felt weak and my hands started shaking. It was that connection we had from the start. I didn't know what to do.