Chapter23

Tears were streaming down my face and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't stop crying. I need somewhere to go. But, I didn't know where. I couldn't face Ashley or Cece looking like this. I knew the only person who would take me in, no questions asked, lived in the familiar house I had been in so many times.

2 Hours earlier...

I got home from school and started working on my homework until I got a call from Harry. We hadn't spoken in a few days other than a few good morning and goodnight texts. I picked up the phone on the first ring and knew something was wrong.

Harry seemed distant and his voice was held back as he said hello.

I knew it was coming, "Harry, are you breaking up with me?" I asked before he got in another word.

There was a long pause, "McKenna, I'm-"

"Save it Harry, you don't need to explain. I get it you found another girl that is more special than me and you-"

"McKenna, no that's not what this is about. I promise you that you're the only girl I have eyes for, you're the only girl I've had eyes for since the day I met you. I love you and I always will. But, I don't want you to have to wait for me. I don't want to put you through the pain of waiting for me. I don't know how long I will be here and it kills me everyday I can't be with you. But, something tells me that I need to let you go. I need to let you be free, and if you wait for me, I certainly will wait for you. But for now, I think we need to break things off."

I tried to suppress the tears. Somehow it made sense, and there was a part of me that knew Harry was telling the truth. He loved me and he always would, but the way he loves me probably would change. We both knew he would probably be there for a while and it was kind of him to set me free. I didn't want it to be over, because I was in love. But something Marcel once told me, lingered in my mind.

As if reading my mind he said, "If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours forever."

The first tear rolled down my cheek. "I love you Harry. You will always be in my heart"

"I love you more than you could ever know McKenna. I want you to be happy and we both know right now that I can't give you that true happiness you deserve since I can't be in your arms. I know that you'll run to Marcel, but if I'm lucky, you will return to me in the future. Good-bye for now, this is not forever" Harry said his voice growing faint with every passing word. "I love you"

And the line went silent.

I sat there crying. I didn't know what to think. I was so confused. A flood of emotions passed through. He loves me, but he set me free? He wants me to be happy, but I can't be happy without him. He wants me to come back, but he knows I'll turn to Marcel. Everything was so confusing. And in that moment I knew that Harry was right. I was going to turn to Marcel. Not as a rebound, but because Marcel was my friend. Marcel had a girlfriend, and I respected that. But, I needed a friend. It struck me as odd that Harry said the same exact thing as Marcel.

As time passed, I realized, Harry was telling the truth but there was a deeper meaning. He set me free because he knew that I had the ultimate decision to pick which Styles triplet I was going to end up with. This would be the ultimate choice, because this would be the last time. Once I had picked the one I chose, it was over with the others. I had a big decision ahead of me, but I knew I needed to see how Marcel was feeling.

_________________________________

Comment, Vote and Share. Who should McKenna choose?