17- So embarrassing

"I love you." He said randomly and it had the same impact on me as the first time. Only this time, he wasn't drunk and I felt like he actually meant it. He strode towards me and kneeled down in front of me.

"I love you too, but-" I panicked, thinking he was about to propose. But he laughed and shook his head, before getting the familiar weaved box from under his bed. He placed it on my lap, before taking a seat next to me on the bed.

"My soccer jersey." He pulled out said object and placed it on his lap.
"I really enjoyed soccer, you know. I was fifteen when I started. The boys on my team accepted me as one of theirs, even though I was small and lanky." He grimaced.

"But as soon as they realized Jason, the great football player and his girlfriend, the biggest bitch of Easton hill bullied me, they decided to do the same. I couldn't even do the only thing that distracted me from all that bullshit your friends caused me." He growled in anger, gripping the shirt tight.

"I'm sorry." I felt as if I should've done something. Even though both of us knew, it wouldn't have helped. Elijah chuckled, before putting the jersey back into the box. He closed it and sighed.

"You wanna know why they called me lanky woods?" He asked and I nodded.
"Well, my name is Elijah. Apparently the most famous Elijah that bitch knew was Elijah Woods form Lord of the rings. And lanky, because well. I was lanky and smaller than most of the other guys in class." He told me before standing up.

"They say kids can be mean. But in my opinion, teenagers are the worst. They know what kind of impact their words and actions can have on people. It's up to them if they actually say it or do it, or not." He opened his closet and reached towards the top shelve.

"This-" He sighed, blowing the dust off the black box. This box was just as mysterious as he came to sit next to me again. When he opened it, I saw a bunch of baby pictures and family portraits in it. He handed me a baby picture of him and I smiled.

"That's me." He shot me a small smile. He was so cute with his chubby legs and arms and his beautiful grey eyes. He also smiled, showing off his one tooth. Then he handed me another picture of the same baby and my breath hitched.

"That's also me. A few days after the first picture was taken." Tears were forming in my eyes when I looked at the unconscious child. He had bruises all over his body and his lip was swollen. He shoved another picture on top of that one and I shook my head.

"What kind of people-" A tear escaped my eye and it fell right on the baby's swollen eye.
"My birth mother." He simply stated, before taking the photos and putting them back into the box. I sniffed, my heart hurting.

"I wasn't planned, not wanted. My mother was sixteen when she got me. Her mother wanted the abortion, but she never had it. Instead, she took the money that was meant to go to the abortion and left her hometown. She was determined to raise me." He told me, wiping my tears away.

"But she obviously had no idea where to go or how to handle a newborn. She started looking for people who could adopt me, but as soon as they saw that she was homeless, they turned her down." I placed my head on his shoulder.

"She finally found a place to stay, but the people weren't nice to her. They hurt her to that point where she almost had a miscarriage. I was born way too early, but survived. And when I was ready to go home, I did. My mother took me back to the people who hurt her and she started getting violent towards me. When I cried for example." Oh no.

"It wasn't after I turned a year old that someone in the hospital finally took notice of what was going on. All this time, they sent me back as if my broken bones and bruised skin was normal." I swallowed hard and he kissed the top of my head.