Chapter 8: Winter Memories

"No, no! That's not fair!" He laughed.

I smiled, "That's totally fair!"

"Slap that smile off your face! You cheated!"

"You hypocrite! You're using Thomas to cheat! Yeah, that's right. I take note of tiny things like how many frigging stomps he makes from behind me! I am just being aware of my advantages. The fact that you chose to sit in front of a mirror is not my fault!"

"You still cheated! I demand to have another game! This time, only us. Look, I'll sit over here," he scooted to the side of my bed, "and Thomas can sit next to me. Okay?"

"Deal, but I'm still going to win." I winked at Thomas as Enoch shuffled the go fish cards. Thomas scratched his arm once.

Enoch dealt us five cards each and put the remainders in the middle. He declared to go first.

"Do you have any... Threes?"

I smirked. "Go fish. Do you have any..." Thomas scratched his arm in five strokes. "Fives?"

Enoch's jaw dropped. "Y... Yeah... Wait. How!? Is there a mirror behind me?" He checked his back. "Thomas are you...?" He glanced down at the boy playing Clash of Clans on his iPad. Enoch's attention turned to me. "How?"

"I told you I'd win. Now hand over the fives and let's continue the game, shall we?"

Enoch squinted his eyes, but nonetheless handed the three cards I needed. I placed the four cards in a stack and turned my attention to Enoch.

"Do you have any sevens?" He asked without breaking eye contact.

"Go fish."

Enoch grabbed a card.

"Do you have any..." I took note of Thomas's subtle arm scratches; he didn't once look up from his game. "Eights?"

"This is unbelievable. I forfeit. Take all my frigging cards!" Enoch stood. He pointed an accusing finger at me. "Witch."

I devilishly smiled and collected the cards from my sheets. "I win. You owe me a triple chocolate milkshake with mint brownie bits. That was the deal."

"You suck."

"From the straw of my milkshake, yes. Off you go! My taste buds are agitated, and only that specific item can satisfy."

Enoch sighed and grabbed his wallet and keys. "Thomas, what do you want?"

"You know what." Thomas vaguely replied, not even glancing at Enoch.

"Strawberry and cream milkshake it is." Enoch muttered under his breath. "I'll be back in fifteen minutes, give or take a few. Bye geek. Witch."

I smiled in return. Enoch left the hospital room.

I glanced around, looking at the white walls I've seen for the passed week. My gaze focused on Thomas.

"What's your username?" I asked as I grabbed my phone from the bedside table. He glanced up at me with wide eyes.

"What?"

"What's your username? I want to see your base."

"For Clash of Clans?"

"No, for Tumblr. Yes for Clash of Clans!"

"You play it too?!"

"No, I just wanted to fit in. Have something in common, you know?"

"Oh." He turned back to his game. I laughed, which ended up in a heavy cough, but I didn't let that bother me. Thomas looked up at me in confusion.